[comp.sys.mac] Videotaping a Mac II

kellow@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu (John Kellow) (09/27/89)

I know, this subject just went around a short time ago but I never did
see the final verdict ( maybe this should be put in one of those
frequently asked question postings like comp.unix.questions).  From
what I gathered before, there is some way of getting NTSC from a Mac
II if you make your own cable and get some special utility program.
Where can I get the references for this, has anyone tried it, does it
work well?

Also, I have an analog RGB color encoder, would this work and would
this be better?  Even with an encoder, I still think there must be
some problem with scanning rate and synchronization, is this what the
utility program is for, to change the scanning rate and
synchronization to NTSC compatible?  My color encoder can also
superimpose the RGB on a video feed.  Does anyone have experience
doing this?  How do you get some parts of the RGB signal to be
transparent to the video signal underneath?  I'd really like to hear
from people who have actually tried this.  To keep from bringing up
the same old discussions over and over, I'll summarize any e-mail
replies that I get (If I get any! Sometimes I wonder if my postings
ever make it out to the net.)

John Kellow

dave@etsu.CMI.COM (David Halonen) (10/05/89)

In article <797@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu> kellow@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu (John Kellow) writes:

>I know, this subject just went around a short time ago but I never did
>see the final verdict ( maybe this should be put in one of those
>frequently asked question postings like comp.unix.questions).  From
>what I gathered before, there is some way of getting NTSC from a Mac
>II if you make your own cable and get some special utility program.

A ColorSpace II *and* a ColorSpace/fx board will do this.  (not the
answer you want to hear).  But I have a followup question:  If the
above mentioned boards are used as a cheap NTSC converter (to get Mac
RGB to a NTSC signal), is there any way to get the same image
displayed on two monitors?

Right, lets try this again.  We have a Mac with an Apple video board
for normal display.  We also have a pair of these ColorSpace boards
that allow really neat video stuff to occur.  It is possible for a
ColorSpace board to put out a NTSC signal.  When a pair of video
boards are put in a Mac, it assumes that you have two monitors to go
along with it.  What we want to do, is to have the Apple video board
work as normal and take that signal, run it through the ColorSpace
boards to get the same image, but in the NTSC format.

Any takers?

--
David Halonen, Center for Machine Intelligence, Electronic Data Systems
Ann Arbor, MI  (313) 995-0900