[comp.sys.mac] MacUser miniFinder reviews

ralph@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (Ralph Brandi) (09/26/89)

In article <1989Sep22.161107.18968@mentor.com> bruceh@mentor.com (Bruce Holm) writes:
>Since MacUser no longer publishes their mini-review section in the
>back of each issue, I can't easily find out the quality of such
>products.

Does anybody know why they stopped?  I always found this particular
feature of the magazine useful, and I was pretty disappointed when
it disappeared.
--
Ralph Brandi     ralph@lzfme.att.com     att!lzfme!ralph

Work flows toward the competent until they are submerged.

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (09/26/89)

In article <892@cbnewsj.ATT.COM> ralph@lzfme.ATT.COM (Ralph Brandi) writes:
>In article <1989Sep22.161107.18968@mentor.com> bruceh@mentor.com (Bruce Holm) writes:
>>Since MacUser no longer publishes their mini-review section in the
>>back of each issue, I can't easily find out the quality of such
>>products.
>
>Does anybody know why they stopped?  I always found this particular
>feature of the magazine useful, and I was pretty disappointed when
>it disappeared.

  The last issue of MacUser I saw said that the MiniFinders would be back in
a few months in some revised form.  Never fear.

                        -- Mark Wilkins

rubinoff@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Robert Rubinoff) (09/26/89)

In article <892@cbnewsj.ATT.COM> ralph@lzfme.ATT.COM (Ralph Brandi) writes:
>In article <1989Sep22.161107.18968@mentor.com> bruceh@mentor.com (Bruce Holm) writes:
>>Since MacUser no longer publishes their mini-review section [...]
>
>Does anybody know why they stopped?  I always found this particular
>feature of the magazine useful, [...]

I don't know for sure, but I have a guess.  The MiniFinders section
had a real problem: the reviews were done over a period of several
years, so some old programs had a higher rating than newer, better programs
just because they were judged with lower standards.  They did seem to try
to update at least the major products (e.g. MacWrite was described as "showing
its age"), but with hundreds of products listed it's not possible to constantly
recheck all of them.

On the other hand, they did just get a new editor who made other
changes to the layout as well.  The most noticeable one (to me) was
that the various columns no longer have titles, just the author's
name.  So maybe it was just that the new editor didn't like the capsule
reviews.

   Robert

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (09/28/89)

<
<Does anybody know why they stopped?  I always found this particular
<feature of the magazine useful, and I was pretty disappointed when
<it disappeared.
 --

They said they were redoing it and that it would reappear, but that was
several months ago. I would have been happier if it had been kept current.

Shirley Kehr

MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com (Stephan - Somogyi) (09/28/89)

ralph@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (Ralph Brandi) writes:

>In article <1989Sep22.161107.18968@mentor.com> bruceh@mentor.com (Bruce Holm) writes:
>>Since MacUser no longer publishes their mini-review section in the
>>back of each issue, I can't easily find out the quality of such
>>products.
>
>Does anybody know why they stopped?  I always found this particular
>feature of the magazine useful, and I was pretty disappointed when it
>disappeared.

MiniFinders have not stopped; we're just putting them out on a
quarterly basis rather than monthly.

Stephan Somogyi                 MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com
     or
MacUser          ...{apple|uunet|sun}!cup.portal.com!MacUserLabs

Stay alert, trust no-one, keep your laser handy.

Any opinions expressed above are mine.

jfw1@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (james.f.whitehead) (09/29/89)

I agree with the previous posters - MacUser, please start up the
"Minifinders" section! Even though it didn't include all products
and had some obsolete reviews, it was quite useful.

Somehow, I smell advertiser pressure in the decision to suspend
"Minifinders" although I sincerely hope not. The larger-circulation
hifi magazines are namby-pamby to the point of uselessness in their
product reviews, and it would be too bad if this happened to the Mac
magazines as well. Better a review you have to take with a grain of salt
than one that tells you absolutely nothing!

Jim Whitehead
"Who cares"

levin@BBN.COM (Joel B Levin) (10/03/89)

In article <4370@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> jfw1@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (james.f.whitehead) writes:
|Somehow, I smell advertiser pressure in the decision to suspend
|"Minifinders" although I sincerely hope not. . . .

I smell economic pressure myself.  "Minifinders" represents a lot of
column inches (feet?), mostly unchanged month-to-month with relatively
little new information, which earned no revenue and cost money to
print.  I think quarterly printing is a reasonable compromise.

	/JBL
=

hale@scheme.Berkeley.EDU (Greg Hale) (10/05/89)

In article <892@cbnewsj.ATT.COM> ralph@lzfme.ATT.COM (Ralph Brandi) writes:
>In article <1989Sep22.161107.18968@mentor.com> bruceh@mentor.com (Bruce Holm) writes:
>>Since MacUser no longer publishes their mini-review section in the
>>back of each issue, I can't easily find out the quality of such
>>products.
>
>Does anybody know why they stopped?  I always found this particular
>feature of the magazine useful, and I was pretty disappointed when
>it disappeared.

Apple has had an advertising campain for business for a while now.  I
have been promised reviews for my game, Leprechaun, but everyone backed
out saying "We have to review xyz business Thingamajig" instead.

Oh, well, I suspect magazines are cutting their own throats.  Games are
important in the computer industry, and no machine is "NOT A GAME
MACHINE".  Certainly not the Mac.  It is one of the better game
machines around.  The graphics leave a little to be desired (much work
is needed even for color) but the interface is great.  How can it not
be a game machine?  Just look at Sim City, adventures, Leprechaun, and
various strategy games.

This is not to say it's not good for work, too.  I use filemaker, word
processors, layout, etc..., for business, and it is indispensable.

But after work, watch out!  Supermouse! :)

Any other game affiendos out there?  What do you think?
#()->  Internet:	hale@scam.Berkeley.EDU
|||    UUCP:		...!ucbvax!scam!hale

fwb@demon.siemens.com (Frederic W. Brehm) (10/05/89)

Another vote to bring back the "Minifinders" section in MacUser.  This was
a great aid in answering questions like
	What was the name of that program that did ...?
	Are there any programs available to do ...?
--
Frederic W. Brehm	Siemens Corporate Research	Princeton, NJ
fwb@demon.siemens.com	-or-	princeton!siemens!demon!fwb