[comp.sys.mac] Upgrade Memory on SE/030

ghe@nucthy.physics.orst.edu (Guangliang He) (09/29/89)

I am going to upgrade the memory on my 1 Meg SE/30. But I've heard
different stories from different people. Some friends told me that I
can buy 4 1Meg chips and put them in to make a 5 Meg machine. Just a
minute ago, I called an apple dealer here in town. What they said is
that I have to take the 4 256k chips out first and then add 4 1 Meg
chips in, so it ends up with a 4 Meg machine. It is obviously someone
is wrong here.  Could anyone out there tell me what is the truth?

Thanks a lot.
USMAIL:   Guangliang He             |  INTERNET: ghe@PHYSICS.ORST.EDU
          Department of Physics     |  BITNET:   hegl@ORSTVM.BITNET
          Weniger Hall 301          |
          Oregon State University   |
          Corvallis, OR 97331-6507  |  PHONE:    (503) 737-4631

dorourke@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (David M. O'Rourke) (09/29/89)

ghe@nucthy.physics.orst.edu (Guangliang He) writes:
> [problems gettting good info on upgrading his machine.]

  Your dealer is Wrong, you can add 4 addition simms of your choice to
your SE/30 with out having to remove the existing 256K simms.  You can
add 4 256K simms for a total of 2 megs, You can add 1 megs simms for
a total of 5 megs, or you can add 4 meg simms for a total of 17 megs {what
the Mac OS would do with this config. at this point in time, I don't know}.

  Hope this helps.
--
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|/////////////////////////////////////////
David M. O'Rourke____________________|_____________dorourke@polyslo.calpoly.edu

levin@BBN.COM (Joel B Levin) (09/29/89)

In article <12679@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> ghe@nucthy.physics.orst.edu (Guangliang He) writes:
|I am going to upgrade the memory on my 1 Meg SE/30. But I've heard
|different stories from different people. Some friends told me that I
|can buy 4 1Meg chips and put them in to make a 5 Meg machine. Just a
|minute ago, I called an apple dealer here in town. What they said is
|that I have to take the 4 256k chips out first and then add 4 1 Meg
|chips in, so it ends up with a 4 Meg machine. It is obviously someone
|is wrong here.  Could anyone out there tell me what is the truth?

Your friends are right about your SE/30.  If you have 4 256K SIMMs you
can keep them and add 4 1Meg SIMMs (I'm not sure, you may have to
shuffle them around).

What dealer said is true for SEs (NOT /30!) and Pluses.  They only
have 4 SIMMs so if you want to put 4 1Megs in you have to remove the 4
256Ks.

	/JBL
=

kent@sunfs3.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (10/03/89)

In article <1989Sep28.200958.24055@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> dorourke@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (David M. O'Rourke) writes:
>ghe@nucthy.physics.orst.edu (Guangliang He) writes:
>> [problems gettting good info on upgrading his machine.]
>
>  Your dealer is Wrong, you can add 4 addition simms of your choice to
>your SE/30 with out having to remove the existing 256K simms.  You can

Almost.  You can upgrade your SEx (aka SE/30) without *throwing away*
your 256K SIMMs, but you will have to remove them to move them over to
Bank B.  Bank B can never have more memory than Bank A--except in the
new IIci.

--
Kent Borg				"Then again I could be foolish
kent@lloyd.uucp				 not to quit while I'm ahead..."

dwells@Apple.COM (Dave Wells) (10/03/89)

In article <12679@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> ghe@nucthy.physics.orst.edu (Guangliang He) writes:

>I am going to upgrade the memory on my 1 Meg SE/30. But I've heard
>different stories from different people. Some friends told me that I
>can buy 4 1Meg chips and put them in to make a 5 Meg machine. Just a
>minute ago, I called an apple dealer here in town. What they said is
>that I have to take the 4 256k chips out first and then add 4 1 Meg
>chips in, so it ends up with a 4 Meg machine. It is obviously someone
>is wrong here.  Could anyone out there tell me what is the truth?

Yes, you can add 4 1MB SIMMs to your SE/30 to get a total of 5MB.  Only catch
is that you'll have to relocate the 256K SIMMs from bank A to bank B and put
the 1MB SIMMs in bank a.  This works like a charm.

This is the same solution as for a Macintosh II, Macintosh IIx, and Macintosh
IIcx, except that there's less room inside so you can't use most DIP (read
over-size) SIMMs.  Stick with SOJ.  (Yes, this means that you can't use our
own 4MB upgrade in the SE/30 since it uses DIP SIMMs.  You have to use two
of our 2MB upgrades, which use SOJ chips, or a third party SOJ based solution.)
When you buy, just ask for SIMMs that use low-profile or SOJ RAM.

-Dave

           Dave Wells, Apple Computer, Inc.  MS: 37-O  (408) 974-5515
          Mail: dwells@apple.com or AppleLink d.wells or GEnie D.WELLS
 These opinions may be nothing more than the ramblings of a fatigued tinkerer

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (10/03/89)

In article <35202@apple.Apple.COM> dwells@Apple.COM (Dave Wells) writes:

>Yes, you can add 4 1MB SIMMs to your SE/30 to get a total of 5MB.  Only catch
>is that you'll have to relocate the 256K SIMMs from bank A to bank B and put
>the 1MB SIMMs in bank a.  This works like a charm.
>
>This is the same solution as for a Macintosh II, Macintosh IIx, and Macintosh
>IIcx...

We've heard that the IIci has an arrangement whereby it isn't necessary to
relocate the 1 mb which comes with the machine to the "B" bank when adding
SIMMs for more RAM.  Is this true?  Is it because new machines are
shipping with the weird new quarter-MB SIMMs?

Enquiring minds want to know...

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarne             |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709       Phone: (415) 549-2684             |  |

dwells@Apple.COM (Dave Wells) (10/04/89)

In article <1989Oct3.144854.24428@agate.berkeley.edu> bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) writes:
>In article <35202@apple.Apple.COM> dwells@Apple.COM (Dave Wells) writes:
>>Yes, you can add 4 1MB SIMMs to your SE/30 to get a total of 5MB.  Only catch
>>is that you'll have to relocate the 256K SIMMs from bank A to bank B and put
>>the 1MB SIMMs in bank a.  This works like a charm.
>>
>>This is the same solution as for a Macintosh II, Macintosh IIx, and Macintosh
>>IIcx...
>
>We've heard that the IIci has an arrangement whereby it isn't necessary to
>relocate the 1 mb which comes with the machine to the "B" bank when adding
>SIMMs for more RAM.  Is this true?  Is it because new machines are
>shipping with the weird new quarter-MB SIMMs?
>
>Enquiring minds want to know...

Yes, it's true.  The Macintosh IIci is the first to allow the RAM in bank B
to be of higher density than the RAM in bank A.  In fact, you can install RAM
in bank B and take the SIMMs out of bank A and the Macintosh will work fine.
(Minus built-in video, which uses RAM from bank A.)

This fantastic new functionality :-) is enabled by the new Memory Decode Unit
chip that replaces the old GluChip from previous Macintosh II models.  Besides
some other things, it removes the RAM configuration restrictions that were
present in previous Mac II's.  If you're wondering where it is on the logic
board, look for the large, square chip, under the SuperDrive, about halfway
between the front and the floppy cable socket.

The "weird new quarter-MB SIMMs" are just that.  Weird, quarter-MB SIMMs.
They use a different chip configuration because supplies of the normal chips
at 80ns was/is insufficient.

captkidd@athena.mit.edu (Ivan Cavero Belaunde) (10/05/89)

In article <35221@apple.Apple.COM> dwells@Apple.COM (Dave Wells) writes:
>Yes, it's true.  The Macintosh IIci is the first to allow the RAM in bank B
>to be of higher density than the RAM in bank A.  In fact, you can install RAM
>in bank B and take the SIMMs out of bank A and the Macintosh will work fine.
>(Minus built-in video, which uses RAM from bank A.)
>
>This fantastic new functionality :-) is enabled by the new Memory Decode Unit
>chip that replaces the old GluChip from previous Macintosh II models.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the reason this
is an important feature is that cycle-stealing for the built-in video slows
down access to memory in bank A.  The ability to have higher density memory
in bank B rather than bank A should then result on a lesser performance
degradation when using built-in video.  If you have 5MB of RAM, and you put
4MB on bank A and 1 on bank B (the only possible configuration before),
the 4MB will be "slower memory" than the 1MB.  Thus it is useful and
desirable to put higher density RAM in bank B when using built-in video.

>-Dave

-Ivanski

	"I'm going to kill everyone in this room"

		"Now that's darn rude."

	-The Joker and David Endochrine, _Batman: The Dark Knight Returns_
		by Frank Miller

Internet: captkidd@athena.mit.edu

dwells@Apple.COM (Dave Wells) (10/05/89)

In article <14877@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> captkidd@athena.mit.edu (Ivan Cavero Belaunde) writes:
>In article <35221@apple.Apple.COM> dwells@Apple.COM (Dave Wells) writes:
>>Yes, it's true.  The Macintosh IIci is the first to allow the RAM in bank B
>>to be of higher density than the RAM in bank A.  In fact, you can install RAM
>>in bank B and take the SIMMs out of bank A and the Macintosh will work fine.
>>(Minus built-in video, which uses RAM from bank A.)
>>
>>This fantastic new functionality :-) is enabled by the new Memory Decode Unit
>>chip that replaces the old GluChip from previous Macintosh II models.
>
>Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the reason this
>is an important feature is that cycle-stealing for the built-in video slows
>down access to memory in bank A.  The ability to have higher density memory
>in bank B rather than bank A should then result on a lesser performance
>degradation when using built-in video.  If you have 5MB of RAM, and you put
>4MB on bank A and 1 on bank B (the only possible configuration before),
>the 4MB will be "slower memory" than the 1MB.  Thus it is useful and
>desirable to put higher density RAM in bank B when using built-in video.
>
>-Ivanski

You're absolutely correct.  I wasn't saying why you might do something.  Only
that it is possible, and what changed to allow it.

-Dave

  Dave (Gimme more MHz) Wells, Apple Computer, Inc.  MS: 37-Y  (408) 974-5515

ccw@nvuxr.UUCP (christopher wood) (10/05/89)

In article <12679@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> ghe@nucthy.physics.orst.edu (Guangliang He) writes:

>I am going to upgrade the memory on my 1 Meg SE/30.

They're both right.  you buy 4 1 Mb SIMMs.  To install them, you take
out the 4 256K SIMMs, and put the 4 1 Mb simms in, where the 256K SIMMs
were.  You have a 4 Mb machine.  Now you put the 4 256K SIMMs in the
empty slots.  5 Mb.  Mystery solved.

--
Chris Wood     Bellcore     ...!bellcore!nvuxr!ccw
                         or nvuxr!ccw@bellcore.bellcore.com