[comp.sys.mac] Need recommendation for small/portable hard drives

jayr@well.UUCP (Jay Roth) (10/04/89)

 I need some suggestions for an external SCSI hard drive.  I need
 a drive that is portable (can toss it in a backpack w/o worry),
 fast (1:1 interleave, access time as low as possible), and of
 course reliable. Anyone have any suggestions or warnings?

jnh@ecemwl.ncsu.edu (Joseph N. Hall) (10/05/89)

In article <13937@well.UUCP> jayr@well.UUCP (Jay Roth) writes:

> I need some suggestions for an external SCSI hard drive.  I need
> a drive that is portable (can toss it in a backpack w/o worry),
> fast (1:1 interleave, access time as low as possible), and of
> course reliable. Anyone have any suggestions or warnings?

Buy a LaCie Cirrus.  I have a 107Mb, 15ms Cirrus that cost me $1200,
including SilverLining (their renowned disk formatting/partitioning/
optimizing utility), and a padded nylon carrying case (probably a $50
value).  They use 3.5" drives; the drive, in its carrying case, is about
the size of a large purse.  (Utility software, including SilverLining,
and the carrying case are free.)

LaCie's reputation for quality is excellent.  I have seen only one serious
complaint about hardware/software problems with LaCie drives posted here
in the past year or so (I might have missed something, but...), as opposed
to the dozens about, for example, Apple's bad batch of Quantum 40s and 80s.
I have had no problems with my Cirrus 110, and a friend of mine who has a
Cirrus 30 has had no problems with his either.  The LaCie drives consistently
score higher in speed and lower in noise than most comparably-priced drives
on the market.

You can reach them at 1-800-999-0143.  (Contrary to appearances, I am not
a LaCie salesperson, merely a very satisfied customer.)

v   v sssss|| joseph hall                      || 4116 Brewster Drive
 v v s   s || jnh@ecemwl.ncsu.edu (Internet)   || Raleigh, NC  27606
  v   sss  || SP Software/CAD Tool Developer, Mac Hacker and Keyboardist
-----------|| Disclaimer: NCSU may not share my views, but is welcome to.

c8s-an@franny.Berkeley.EDU (Alex Lau) (10/05/89)

In article <13937@well.UUCP> jayr@well.UUCP (Jay Roth) writes:

> I need some suggestions for an external SCSI hard drive.  I need
> a drive that is portable (can toss it in a backpack w/o worry),
> fast (1:1 interleave, access time as low as possible), and of
> course reliable. Anyone have any suggestions or warnings?

You didn't say how much you wanted to pay, or how much storage.

If you've got $$$, you'd like FWB's Pocket Hammer. It's portable
and fast and reliable and cool-looking. I believe it uses a CDC
mechanism.

--- Alex
UUCP: {att,backbones}!ucbvax!franny!c8s-an
INTERNET: c8s-an%franny.berkeley.edu@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
FIDONET: Alex.Lau@bmug.fidonet.org (1:161/444)

logic@wet.UUCP (Henry Kwan) (10/06/89)

In article <18008@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> c8s-an@franny.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Alex Lau) writes:
>In article <13937@well.UUCP> jayr@well.UUCP (Jay Roth) writes:
>>
>> I need some suggestions for an external SCSI hard drive.  I need
>> a drive that is portable (can toss it in a backpack w/o worry),
>> fast (1:1 interleave, access time as low as possible), and of
>> course reliable. Anyone have any suggestions or warnings?
>
>You didn't say how much you wanted to pay, or how much storage.
>
>If you've got $$$, you'd like FWB's Pocket Hammer. It's portable
>and fast and reliable and cool-looking. I believe it uses a CDC
>mechanism.
>
>--- Alex
>UUCP: {att,backbones}!ucbvax!franny!c8s-an
>INTERNET: c8s-an%franny.berkeley.edu@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
>FIDONET: Alex.Lau@bmug.fidonet.org (1:161/444)

The PocketHammer series of compact portable hard drives use Quantum
mechanisms in the 40MB, 80MB, and 100MB units.  On the higher capacity
135MB and 175MB units, we use Imprimis (formerly a subsidiary of CDC) Swift
mechanisms.  The Quantum mechanisms are 19 ms average seek while the Swift
mechanisms are 15 ms seek.

Besides the Quantums used in our smaller drives, FWB uses Imprimis
mechanisms exclusively.  This includes the Wren III, Wren IV, Wren V, and
the Wren Runner.  Average seek times for these drives range from 9 to 18 ms.

The drive also come with a rich assortment of utility software, including
Hard Disk Partition, Hard Disk Deadbolt, and Hard Disk Utility.  Upcoming
bundled software will feature Hard Disk Toolkit and Hard Disk Jockey as
well.  Needless to say, complete cabling is also provided.

Sorry if this sounds too much like a pitch but I just wanted to get factual
and timely information out to those who might be in need of such.  Thanks.

--
           Henry Kwan - FWB, Inc.         |  "Experience varies directly
     claris!wet!logic@ames.arc.nasa.gov   |    with equipment ruined."

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (10/06/89)

In article <4108@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> jnh@ecemwl.UUCP (Joseph N. Hall) writes:
>In article <13937@well.UUCP> jayr@well.UUCP (Jay Roth) writes:

<Buy a LaCie Cirrus.  I have a 107Mb, 15ms Cirrus that cost me $1200,
<... the drive, in its carrying case, is about
<the size of a large purse.

I certainly wouldn't want to carry anything the size of my purse. It would
hold at least a dozen 3.5-inch drives. I look for a shopping cart the minute
I get close to a store.

Shirley Kehr