[comp.sys.mac] LaCie Hard disks

xerox@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (James Osborne) (10/03/89)

    A friend of mine just purchased a LaCie 70 meg hard disk.  I noticed that
it does not have the standard SCSI connectors on back.  Instead, it uses
2 femal 25 (?) pin connecors (identical to those on the back of the mac).

Might this non-standard architecture cause problems with compatibility?
(especially if you had to replace the Mac to LaCie cable...)

James.Osborne@mac.dartmouth.edu

jalden@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Joshua M. Alden) (10/04/89)

In article <15901@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> xerox@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (James Osborne) writes:
>    A friend of mine just purchased a LaCie 70 meg hard disk.  I noticed that
>it does not have the standard SCSI connectors on back.  Instead, it uses
>2 femal 25 (?) pin connecors (identical to those on the back of the mac).
>
>Might this non-standard architecture cause problems with compatibility?
>(especially if you had to replace the Mac to LaCie cable...)
>
>James.Osborne@mac.dartmouth.edu

    Not that I've seen.  I've had a La Cie for about a year now, and I
have yet to notice any incompatibility because of cables (or any other
compatibility for that matter).  Furthermore, I used to sell the little
devils, and none of my customers reported any incompatibility problem.

    I assume that you're talking software.  The rub is when you want to
daisy-chain another hard drive onto the La Cie.  The way I do it then is
to connect the La Cie to the Mac, and then chain the other drives off
the La Cie.  Seems to work fine.

    In fact, I happen to think that the 25-pin connector cable that the
La Cie has is a better idea all around, since that's the connector in
the back of the Mac.  As someone who works at Dartmouth repairing
peoples' hard drives, and therefore hooking them up and unhooking them
alot, it would be wonderful if there were only one kind of connector
and hence only one kind of cable.

    For the technical folks out there:  Is there a reason for the 50-pin
SCSI connection that seems to be standard?

--
 /--------------------------------------------------+-------------------------\
 |Josh Alden, Consultant, Kiewit Computation Center | HB 48, Dartmouth College|

pcolby@kitten.prime.com (Peter Colby) (10/07/89)

In article <15917@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> jalden@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Joshua M. Alden) writes:

>    In fact, I happen to think that the 25-pin connector cable that the
>La Cie has is a better idea all around, since that's the connector in
>the back of the Mac.  As someone who works at Dartmouth repairing
>peoples' hard drives, and therefore hooking them up and unhooking them
>alot, it would be wonderful if there were only one kind of connector
>and hence only one kind of cable.
>
>    For the technical folks out there:  Is there a reason for the 50-pin
>SCSI connection that seems to be standard?

yes, it IS the standard (as defined in the ANSI standard for SCSI). In fact,
as has been mentioned many times before on the net, the mac's DB25 SCSI is
highly NON-standard.
	However, as far as I know, the TYPE of 50 pin connector to use for
SCSI is not defined in the standard. The Centronics style connector seems
to be as close to a default standard as anything though I have also seen
a DB50 used as well as an IDC style connector.
	Peter Colby

UUCP: {sun,decvax,linus}!cvbnet!pcolby ||| "We has met the enemy and he is us."
UUCP: pcolby@robbie.prime.com          |||                           Pogo
CSNET: pcolby@robbie.prime.com         |||