[comp.sys.mac] Definitive answer to Mem. speeds please?

pcmeier@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Pascal Constantin Meier) (10/06/89)

Sorry to kick a dead horse, but could someone tell me if it is okay to
mix memory speeds? From the chaos of a week ago, this was not clear.
If it is okay, can one mix mem. speeds with chips that are supposed to
go into slots in pairs or groups of two.

From the number of conflicting answers posted recently, I would
appreciate it if someone who knows what s/he is talking about would
answer this one. ;-)

Thanks,
Pascal.

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (10/06/89)

In article <10724@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> pcmeier@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Pascal Constantin Meier) writes:
> Sorry to kick a dead horse, but could someone tell me if it is okay to
> mix memory speeds? From the chaos of a week ago, this was not clear.

	You can mix memory speeds to your heart's content as long as all the
chips are at least as fast as what the machine requires.  For example, if a
certain machine's manual says it needs 120ns memory, you can put in any
random mix of 120ns, 100ns, and 80ns parts you can throw together.  You
cannot, however, put in 150ns parts, no matter how you arrange them.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"

kingman@tci.bell-atl.com (Matt Kingman) (10/07/89)

I'm not sure if you can mix speeds within a bank of SIMMS, but my Mac II has
4 1MB 100ns SIMMS and 4 256K 120ns SIMMS and it works great.

/Matt
--
Matt Kingman  Technology Concepts Inc.  Sudbury, MA.  (508)443-7311
      ...!uunet!tci!kingman         kingman@tci.bell-atl.com