[comp.sys.mac] Re^2: 2 Macs on one HD?

kempf@tci.bell-atl.com (Cory Kempf) (10/06/89)

I have never tried this.  A friend of mine at Apple told me this when
I asked the same question.  With that disclaimer in mind...

Yes, it is possible to have two macs on the same SCSI bus.  It is not
a good idea for a variety of reasons, but you can do it.  The Mac+ has
it's SCSI ID hard coded.  The newer systems have it burried in the
PRAM somewhere.

Additionally, He said that he once accidently hooked up two macs on
the same SCSI network (he was involved in testing hard disks... seeing
a stack of half a dozen HD's and other SCSI devices on his desk at any
one time was not unusual.  With the frequent changes in SCSI
configuration, the tangle of cables can become somewhat difficult).
Anyway, he noticed that he had two macs with the same hard disks a few
days later.  He looked, and sure enough, he had reinvented the LAN.

Hope this helps
+C

--
Cory Kempf		Technology Concepts	     phone: (508) 443-7311 x341
uucp:	{anywhere}!uunet!tci!kempf, kempf@tci.bell-atl.com

kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (10/07/89)

In article <390@tci.bell-atl.com> kempf@tci.bell-atl.com (Cory Kempf) writes:

-Yes, it is possible to have two macs on the same SCSI bus.  It is not
>a good idea for a variety of reasons, but you can do it.  The Mac+ has
>it's SCSI ID hard coded.  The newer systems have it burried in the
>PRAM somewhere.

Save yourself the trouble of looking.  The Mac ID (=7) is hard-coded in the
SCSI driver code.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (10/07/89)

In article <12256@polya.Stanford.EDU> kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) writes:
ARGHH! apologies for the multiple postings.  The Pnews server sent the reply
even though it crashed! (twice) -- so you get 3 of them. sorry.