[comp.sys.mac] 80-Megabyte HD problems in Mac II's and SE-30's

JEFF@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Jeffrey Perry) (10/02/89)

    I seem to recall seeing several articles on HD problems in some of the
newer Mac II's and SE-30s.  All of the problems seemed to involve 80 meg
drives.  I didn't pay any attention to the articles since I work on a lowly
SE with 20 meg.  This weekend a friend who is responsible for the upkeep of
a Mac II and an SE-30, both with 80 meg drives, reported that both machines
had suffered strange and apparently total HD malfunction.  They were connected
through their SCSI drives via some sort of local networking device or devices,
so he figures that the SCSI ports may be inmplicated as well.
   Would anyone who has copies of the mailings in question, or any information
that is likely to prove useful, mail (not post) to me?
   Many thanks.

               Jeff Perry
               CIT Princeton University
               JEFF@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (10/08/89)

In article <9772@pucc.Princeton.EDU> JEFF@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:
> I seem to recall seeing several articles on HD problems in some of the newer
> Mac II's and SE-30s.  All of the problems seemed to involve 80 meg drives.

	I suspect the problem extends to the 40 meg drives as well.  I've
got a brand new II-CX (i.e. about 2 weeks old) with the Apple/Quantum
internal drive.  It's already failed to spin up on 2 or 3 occasions.
Sometimes just hitting the reset switch gets it going, sometimes booting
off a floppy does the trick.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"