[comp.sys.mac] WordPerfect Problems

ccastgn@pyr.gatech.EDU (Gautham Nalamada) (05/07/89)

I am having problems converting Mac WP files to IBM and the other way round also,What
I have are a Mac II and an IBM AT and these are the steps I follow:-
	a)Save the file on Mac as IBM4.2 format
	b)Upload the file to a mainframe( in this case Sequent) using Mackermit
	c)Download the file to the IBM AT using kermit.
	d)convert the file to WP5.0 using Convert.exe
It is almost the same steps for the other way around except for uploading and
downloading the file.
My problems being that either the file opens with a lot Control characters or the
convert.exe deletes the file except for the first page.
Any Pointers to help me out.
My e-mail address is ccastgn@pyr.gatech.edu.

--
Gautham Nalamada
uucp: ...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!ccastgn

jim@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU (Jim Providakes) (05/08/89)

In article <8123@pyr.gatech.EDU> ccastgn@pyr.gatech.EDU (Gautham Nalamada) writes:
>I am having problems converting Mac WP files to IBM and the other way round also,What
>Any Pointers to help me out.
> ---------
	Our group routinely go between IBM PC and the MAC SE or II or SE/30
with WordPerfect.  We use Upload the files to our Vax using Kermit.  It is
important that use use binary mode for file transfer.  The WordPerfect file
is a binary file!.  Set the file transfer mode to "set file type binary".
All of the format commnads transfer just fine.  The only problem is the
IBM extended characters do not map to the same chararacters on the MAC and
visa versa.  In fact what is really nice about Word Perfect is the WordPerfect
on an VAX is also compatible with our MACs.  By the way, make sure you have
version 1.0.2 of Word Perfect.  All of the bugs that we are aware of have
been corrected.  Now, the MAC WordPerfect is software that I would recommend.
We use it for photo-ready copy in our sibmittals to many technical journals.

kg19+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kurt A. Geisel) (10/09/89)

I am having a few problems with WordPerfect.  I would greatly
appreciate any advice.

1)  I recently upgraded to System 6.0.3 and LaserWriter Driver 5.2.
In my previous System/LaserWriter, I could create PostScript files and
print them from Unix with absolute reliability.  Since I have
upgraded, nothing printed from WordPerfect will even print one page.
It just compiles to nothing on a standard LaserWriter.  Yes, I am
doing everything exactly the same as before, including the prepending
of "%!", including LaserPrep and all that.  While inconvenient, I can
live with this because I can always take the disk to a Mac which is on
AppleTalk and print from there.  Still, it is strange that it worked
before and not now.

2)  Even when I successfully print, the output seems to be unusually
UGLY.  For one thing, the "Print Preview" seems to have NOTHING to do
with the actual printed output- nothing lines up the way I formatted.
For instance, I had major problems with a two-column document.  The
right edge of the left column was running over the left edge of the
right column, while the measurements set up in WP would in no way
allow that and the Print Preview showed nothing of the kind.
Furthermore, what the Print Preview showed lying on a given page was
often not even close to what page it wound up on.  This sounds like an
awfully inaccurate WYSIWYG...

In all cases, I am using STANDARD Apple LaserWriters, WP 1.0.1 (I've
ordered the 1.0.3 upgrade), and normal Helvetica fonts which I KNOW are
on the LaserWriters- nothing fancy, no bitmaps, no custom PS, etc.

Thanks,

- Kurt
Kurt Geisel                       SNAIL :
Carnegie Mellon University            65 Lambeth Dr.
ARPA : kg19+@andrew.cmu.edu           Pittsburgh, PA 15241
UUCP : uunet!nfsun!kgeisel  "I will not be pushed, filed, indexed, stamped,
BIX  : kgeisel               briefed, debriefed, or numbered!" - The Prisoner