[comp.sys.mac] best deal on new/used 2400 baud Mac-compatible modem?

jeff@janus.UUCP (jeff marder) (09/29/89)

please mention make model price.  Especially interested in anything
under $200 (new, cheaper for used) with LEDs.
Jeff Marder
Quotron Systems   213-302-4316

mmccann@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mike McCann) (10/01/89)

Try the Hayes Personal 2400baud modem.  It has connectors for din-8
(Mac), DB-9 and DB-25 (IBM and others).  The good part is that 47th
Street computer has/had them for $130.  The bad part is that they have
no speaker.  But it's a Hayes...

Hope this helps,
--
Mike McCann       (803) 656-3714   Internet = mmccann@hubcap.clemson.edu
Poole Computer Center (Box P-21)       UUCP = gatech!hubcap!mmccann

bond@aerospace.aero.org (Walt Bond) (10/02/89)

I got a Maxon 2400 external: speaker, front-panel power switch and
volume control, LEDs for TX, RX, PWR, CD, and RI. Hayes compatible.
For Mac use, add cable (DB-25 on modem side) and any terminal emulator
(I like Versaterm, but every other emulator I've tried works fine).
Not sure if it is a 90-day or 1-year warranty, but I've had no problems
in 7 months of use.  Very complete manual (includes pinout for Mac to
Modem cables even).

I got mine from Copper Electronics (800-626-6343) for $99+shipping
cash price.  More for credit card orders.

Disclaimer: This message and its author are but pigments of your imagination.

thwang@cory.Berkeley.EDU (HWANG TSONG-WEN) (10/05/89)

Could anyone give a pointer on a good inexpensive 2400 baud modem which
supports MNP?  MNP-5 would be nice, but any info is appreciated.

RSVP to robert@toaster.sfsu.edu; this is a friend's account.

drew@cup.portal.com (Andrew E Wade) (10/06/89)

Practical Peripherals has a 2400 MNP.  You can get them, in the SF Bay
area, at Frys (Sunnyvale or Milpitas).  Around $230, I think?

MNP does a great job of filtering noisy lines:  If someone else in the
house picks up the extension and shouts into it, I don't see a single char
of garbage!  And it supposedly speeds up batch transfers (I don't know
from personal experience).  For interactive stuff, it's slower, and
introduces an annoying lag.  So, personally, I'd recommend not using
it unless you have noisy lines.

PP also has a cheap, reliable 2400 baud.  I've used their modems at home
and at work for a few years now with no problems.
ComputerWare (Palo Alto, Sunnyvale) advertises something like Avatex for
$166.  I've seen ads for something with a "z" in it for $139.  Not MNP,
these last two.

kitchel@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Sid Kitchel) (10/06/89)

drew@cup.portal.com (Andrew E Wade) writes:

>Practical Peripherals has a 2400 MNP.  You can get them, in the SF Bay
>area, at Frys (Sunnyvale or Milpitas).  Around $230, I think?

	PC Connection recently was selling a Practical Peripherals 2400
modem at $179. Their number is 800-243-8088.
	I've also heard from friends that it is a reliable modem, plus
it has a 5 year warranty. Are you listening Apple??? I said FIVE YEAR
warranty.

Sid Kitchel				 kitchel@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
Computer Science Dept.		       skitchel@gold.bacs.indiana.edu
101 Lindley Hall			       skitchel@iubacs.BITNET
Indiana University
Bloomington, IN  47405

bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Ronald Bannon) (10/07/89)

In article <22826@cup.portal.com> drew@cup.portal.com (Andrew E Wade) writes:
>Practical Peripherals has a 2400 MNP.  You can get them, in the SF Bay
>area, at Frys (Sunnyvale or Milpitas).  Around $230, I think?
>
>MNP does a great job of filtering noisy lines:  If someone else in the
>house picks up the extension and shouts into it, I don't see a single char
>of garbage!  And it supposedly speeds up batch transfers (I don't know
>from personal experience).  For interactive stuff, it's slower, and
>introduces an annoying lag.  So, personally, I'd recommend not using
>it unless you have noisy lines.
>
>PP also has a cheap, reliable 2400 baud.  I've used their modems at home
>and at work for a few years now with no problems.
>ComputerWare (Palo Alto, Sunnyvale) advertises something like Avatex for
>$166.  I've seen ads for something with a "z" in it for $139.  Not MNP,
>these last two.

A free offer to receive PRODIGY service for one month and a start up kit also
includes an offer to recieve a Hayes Personal Modem 2400 for under $170. I
received this offer in the mail and thought this was a good price for a 2400
baud modem and especially good for a Hayes modem. If you're interested in
this offer then call 1 800 822 6922 ext 600, they will ask you for a code
number but just say you lost the reply card. Even if you're not interested in
the modem the start-up kit and the free one one month subscription may
interest you.

Ron Bannon
bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu
bannon@math.rutgers.edu

Ron Bannon
bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Is George Bush a traitor? Read "October Surprise" by Honegger. Send for details.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

thwang@cory.Berkeley.EDU (HWANG TSONG-WEN) (10/08/89)

Ok, so MNP slows down interactive.  Is it possible to turn it off, via
hardware or software?

John Yen  (RSVP to robert@toaster.sfsu.edu; this is a friend's account.)

drew@cup.portal.com (Andrew E Wade) (10/09/89)

>Ok, so MNP slows down interactive.  Is it possible to turn it off, via
>hardware or software?

>John Yen  (RSVP to robert@toaster.sfsu.edu; this is a friend's account.)

Answer:  sure.  Here's how (caveat:  I don't claim, expertise in datacomm;
just read the manual and tried it; also, although I think the MNP commands
are standardized, like the rest of the AT commands, I certainly don't know
for sure and haven't tried this except on Practical Peripherals and Macs).

To make it act like Hayes modem, I do
AT&F&D3L1&W
where &F means reset to factory specs (which is non-RELiable mode)
	&D3 allows it to be interrupted by call waliting (which I like)
	L1 lowers speaker volume; obviously not critical...
	&W saves it in eprom so when you power down modem it remember it

To make it use the MNP error correction and compression, I do:
AT&FL1&D3\N3\J0\Q1\C2\T60%A13&W
where	&F as above, for clean, known starting state
	&D3, L1 as above (and not really relevant)
	&W as above, and important
	\N3 turn on auto-reliable mode
	\J0 turn off bps adjust, so link between computer and modem can be
		different from modem-modem link, with buffering; e.g., former
		might be 9600 baud, while later is 2400 baud.  I'm guessing
		this is critical for compression, since less data goes
		modem-to-modem.  Some computer/software combinations might
		have trouble with this (red ryder and quickmail seem to
		understand it; netserial doesn't).  It might be possible to
		run without this, but I didn't figure it out.
	\Q1 means use sw xon/xoff (^s/^q) flow control.  Some flow control is
		probably necessary for buffered mode (see \J0).  \Q3 means
		hw flow control, which might be better if your hw has it.
	\C2 means that if this is the receiving modem, and if the caller
		sends the character specified in %A command (carriage return),
		then don't go through the 4 second attempt to estable a
		RELiable connection.  That means that non-MNP modem calling
		up to this modem force it to behave like non-MNP, without
		an annoying 4 sec delay.  This works fine.  We have both
		kinds of modems (modi?) calling.  If modem reports
		CONNECT 2400 it's normal (non-REL or non-MNP) connection,
		while CONNECT 2400/REL means MNP or RELiable connection.
	\T60 is really irrelevant:  it means that if the line is innactive
		for 60 minutes, modem should automatically hang up.
	%A13 (see \C2 above) means <CR> is the character that, when received,
		tells the receiving MNP modem that caller is non-MNP.  This
		works well because most callers/scripts include <CR>.
For the callee modem you might well want to set it to auto-answer (S0=1 to
answer on first ring).
To see all non-MNP status, do AT&V
To see MNP status, do AT\S.  If it reports DIR \N1, it's acting non-MNP.
If it reports AUT \N3, it's acting REL.

Again, no warranties of any kind, but above seems to be working fine for us.
I'm curious about (don't understand) several things:  \G (flow control between
computer and modem); \L (stream vs. block mode -- can it be used if modem
is used interactively?  must it be used to get speed advantage over non-MNP
for batch transfers?  seems inconvenient to have to turn this on and off).
I tried \J1, which forces computer-modem serial speed to be same as
modem-modem (2400 in my case), and it did seem to work, though presumably would
slow down transfer of compressed data, hoping that it would speed up the
interactive stuff, but no luck.
\N0 might be useful when you know you're calling a non-MNP modem, but I didn't
try it.

Also, I don't understand why they don't just put in a one-pager with above
cookbook settings.  Instead I had to pour througha 162-page manual!  Can you
believe it!

All the other registers were fine in their default settings.  Here's a summary:
(output of at\s command, which shows all MNP-special settings):
at\s

IDLE
MODEM BPS	2400	AT
MODEM FLOW	OFF	AT\G0
MODEM MODE	AUT	AT\N3
AUTO ANS.	OFF	ATS0=0		[set to S0=1 for auto-answer]
SERIAL BPS	9600	AT		[or higher if your modem/sw handles it]
BPS ADJUST	OFF	AT\J0
SERIAL FLOW	X-ON	AT\Q1
PASS XON/XOFF	OFF	AT\X0
PARITY		8N	AT		[8 bits,no parity,1 stop bit is common]
BREAK		5	AT\K5
EXIT CHAR	043	ATS2=43
CMD ECHO	ON	ATE1
RESULTS		ON	ATQ0