[comp.sys.mac] Recommendations on glare screens needed

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (10/06/89)

I need a recommendation on glare screens for a 12" B/W Apple Monitor for a Mac
II.  I'd like to cut down on glare and -- if possible -- radiation.  Someone
from a company named Bob Hall came by our office today and was showing a really
nice glass glare screen.  It also had a wire attached to it which plugged into
a grounded outlet.  He claimed this drained both static and radiation.

It looked nice; you couldn't see your reflection at all in the screen and it
didn't diffuse the image at all.  In fact it was quite clear.  It cost ca.
$100, which is rather expensive.

Anybody know anything about this?  Any recommendations?

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
= crsp_ra@gsbacd.uchicago.edu    * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
=                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =

hallett@pet3.uucp (Jeff Hallett x5163 ) (10/06/89)

In article <5682@tank.uchicago.edu> gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
>I need a recommendation on glare screens for a 12" B/W Apple Monitor for a Mac
>II.  I'd like to cut down on glare and -- if possible -- radiation.  Someone
>from a company named Bob Hall came by our office today and was showing a really
>nice glass glare screen.  It also had a wire attached to it which plugged into
>a grounded outlet.  He claimed this drained both static and radiation.

I don't know about this one, but I own  a Kensington Anti-glare screen
on  my Mac Plus and  have seen one of  their other models on a 13" RGB
monitor.  It looked nice and had very little reflection.

It is considerably less than $100, especially from MacConnection.

--
	     Jeffrey A. Hallett, PET Software Engineering
      GE Medical Systems, W641, PO Box 414, Milwaukee, WI  53201

fleming@cup.portal.com (Stephen R Fleming) (10/09/89)

I had a glass antiglare screen from OCLI with the grounding plug like you
describe.  If they haven't improved dramatically, *stay away*.  It's a flat
piece of glass, and the front of the Mac monitor is curved enough so that
the Velcro tabs won't keep it in place.  After complaining to the vendor,
I got a cheap little "adapter kit" which did more harm than good -- held
the filter far enough from the screen that light snuck in the back.

Also, the gadget collected dust and grease like you wouldn't believe.  After
about six weeks, mine moved to an upper shelf.  It's still there.

|  Stephen Fleming         | My employer doesn't pay for this account. |
|  fleming@cup.portal.com  | In fact, my employer doesn't even know    |
|  CI$:   76354,3176       | I'm here!  Disclaimer enough for any      |
|  Voice: (703) 847-7058   | network-aware lawyer-types, I hope...     |