[comp.sys.mac] Where can I find a MacPlus internal floppy?

greg@mips.COM (Greg Shippen) (10/08/89)

The internal floppy of my MacPlus died a certain death recently.  The upper
head was bent completely back by inserting a floppy at just the wrong
angle (I guess I got too anxious to get the darn thing in there :-).

Initial inquiries around the Bay Area have failed to find anybody other
than an authorized Apple dealer who will sell me a replacement floppy.  Since
the going price is $200+ along with $55 labor costs, doing it myself will save
me at least the labor and probably more.  The question now is where
can I get a replacement for a more reasonable price (going prices for 1.44MB
floppies are often <$100).  Does anybody know if Apple uses a well known floppy
drive or does it use custom drives that are useless elsewhere?  If they can
be found elsewhere, what might the make/model numbers be (I understand that
Apple has used Sony and possibly Fujitsu before)?

--
Gregory B. Shippen
MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.                    {ames,decwrl,pyramid}!mips!greg

esf00@uts.amdahl.com (Elliott S. Frank) (10/10/89)

In article <29088@rapid.mips.COM> greg@mips.COM (Greg Shippen) writes:
>The internal floppy of my MacPlus died a certain death recently.  The upper
>head was bent completely back by inserting a floppy at just the wrong
>angle (I guess I got too anxious to get the darn thing in there :-).

Ask your fiednly :-) dealer what the cost is for a "rebuilt exchange"
unit. It's significantly $$$$$ less. But it's still Apple, and you'll
still pay $$.

I got this tip from a Businessland (definately *not* the lowprice spread)
salesman. It saved me $$ when the floppy drive in my SE died from too
many cat hairs.
--
Elliott Frank      ...!{hplabs,ames,sun}!amdahl!esf00     (408) 746-6384
               or ....!{bnrmtv,drivax,hoptoad}!amdahl!esf00

[the above opinions are strictly mine, if anyone's.]
[the above signature may or may not be repeated, depending upon some
inscrutable property of the mailer-of-the-week.]