[comp.sys.mac] what kinds of sounds are there?

dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) (10/07/89)

I've been a Mac owner for a long time, and I can even program it
(given enough time, which never happens), so I know something about
resources, etc.  But I know almost nothing about sounds.  I think
there are several different incompatible types of sound resources, and
different programs use different ones.

Can anyone tell me

    What are the different kinds of sound resources?

    Are any of these "official"?

    Which programs use which kinds?

And more specifically,

    Is the Sound Driver section in IM-II still worthwhile reading,
        or is it hopelessly outdated?

    How do I reset my Mac+ so it just beeps on errors?  (GimmeBackSysBeep
        is apparently not for Mac+'s.)

I'm not asking for a definitive treatise here (though I wouldn't be
sorry to get one!), just a road map and a few pointers.  It's about
time I learned about this side of the Mac!

Thanks in advance --

-- Dave Matuszek (dave@prc.unisys.com)
-- Unisys Corp. / Paoli Research Center / PO Box 517 / Paoli PA  19301
-- Any resemblance between my opinions and those of my employer is improbable.
  << Those who fail to learn from Unix are doomed to repeat it. >>

a600@mindlink.UUCP (Dave McClean) (10/09/89)

To get a vomiting sound on disk ejection, You need the INIT MacPuke. You'll
soon get tired of it though. :-)

Dave McClean.

carlp@frigg.iscs.com (Carl Paukstis) (10/10/89)

In article <11659@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) writes:
>But I know almost nothing about sounds.  I think
>there are several different incompatible types of sound resources, and
>different programs use different ones.

Sorry, I can't answer the question.  It stirred up a related question:
What about SoundMaster?  I remember people using it on various mac's around
here, getting wonderful stuff like theme from StarTrek on startup, Dragnet
for uninitialized disks, etc.  I didn't have the use of a mac at the time,
so I didn't pay much attention.

Then I got an SE.  So I got SoundMaster from somebody, installed it, set
the sounds from ControlPanel, restarted - nothing.  Why does it not work?
System 6.0.2 is installed - I suspect this has something to do with it.  Is
there a newer version that works today?  I seem to have v1.1 23Mar88.  But
I really want a vomiting sound on disk ejection...
--
Carl Paukstis       "I'm the NRA"      |  DOMAIN:  carlp@frigg.ISCS.COM
   NOTE preferred mail address change, |  UUCP:    ...!uunet!iscuva!frigg!carlp