[comp.sys.mac] Problem rebuilding desktop file

carnes@ico.ISC.COM (Steve Carnes) (09/26/89)

A friend asked me to post this for him.  Replies can be made to me (I'll
forward), to the net (I'll also forward), or to him directly {some
path}boulder!graftek!dai).  Many thanks.
		 ====================

Problem rebuilding the desktop file:

On restart I press the command and option keys together to
force a rebuild of the desktop file.  After about 2 minutes of
disk I/O action the following alert message is displayed:

     The desktop could not be completely rebuilt (out of
     memory)

What memory are we talking here?? Disk or core?? What can be
done.  Any help would be appreciated!

Dai Jones

--
Steve Carnes       carnes@ico.isc.com        uucp: {ncar,nbires}!ico!carnes
"The future lies before us, spread-eagled like a coronary upon the

a379@mindlink.UUCP (Gordon Mulcaster) (09/27/89)

> carnes writes:
>
> On restart I press the command and option keys together to
> force a rebuild of the desktop file.  After about 2 minutes of
> disk I/O action the following alert message is displayed:
>
>      The desktop could not be completely rebuilt (out of
>      memory)
>
> What memory are we talking here?? Disk or core?? What can be
> done.  Any help would be appreciated!

Always rebuild the desktop using Finder not MultiFinder. MF doesn't reserve
enough memory to rebuild a large desktop...

ttul
gm

jchau@castor.usc.edu (Ghostbuster) (09/30/89)

I guess you had your Multifinder on and when you tried to rebuild
your desktop file, the 'out of memory' message appeared.

As for the memory, I believe it is the desktop memory but I could
be wrong.  I encountered such message when I tried rebuilding my
desktop file and after having my multifinder turned off, I could
proceed with the rebuilding stuff.

Jeff

wwtaroli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Bill Taroli) (10/02/89)

Actually, MultiFinder is not quite the culprit you might expect.  The problem
with running out of memory while trying to rebuild large desktop under
MultiFinder is memory related, but easy to solve.

The main reason you run out of memory is because when MultiFinder launches an
application, it sets aside a certain amount of memory for it (which does NOT
change while it's running).  If the application fills this memory block up, it
cannot request more memory from MF.  The solution to this problem is based on
how MF determines how much memory to set aside for each application.  If you
have seen the "Get Info" dialog for files you know exactly what I'm talking
about.  All you need to do is set the memory a little higher and your problem
is solved.

So, basically, start your system up from a floppy.  Set the memory of the Finder
on your Startup HD 50 or 100K higher and use MF without worrying about memory
problems while trying to rebuild your desktop from the Finder.

Bill Taroli
WWTAROLI@RODAN.acs.syr.edu

d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (10/02/89)

In article <5425@merlin.usc.edu> jchau@castor.usc.edu (Ghostbuster) writes:

[ problem rebuilding desktop ]

>As for the memory, I believe it is the desktop memory but I could
>be wrong.

You are. It's finder application partition memory. It's easily
settable in the get-info-dialog, but it's still easier to just
restart without MF.

h+@nada.kth.se
--
Brains x Beauty == Constant

long@rainbo.enet.dec.com (Richard Long) (10/03/89)

In article <1836@draken.nada.kth.se>, d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) writes...
>You are. It's finder application partition memory. It's easily
>settable in the get-info-dialog, but it's still easier to just
>restart without MF.

This is interesting.  I remember reading some time ago that System 7.0 wouldn't
allow anything but MultiFinder.  I wonder how this situation will be handled,
given that large hard disks are becoming the norm.

Rich

 /~~) /~~ /     | long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com            | "...guess you wouldn't
/~~\ /__ /__    | ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long | lie to me about a
Richard C. Long | long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com | thing like that." -MASH

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (10/10/89)

:
:This is interesting.  I remember reading some time ago that System 7.0 wouldn't
:allow anything but MultiFinder.  I wonder how this situation will be handled,
:given that large hard disks are becoming the norm.
:
:Rich

I seem to remember from all of the stuff that I read, and what I heard at BCS
that they are also re-doing the way the desktop works (wasn't it called the
Desktop Manager, or something like that?  I presume that that will fix it
once and for all, including these annoying 30-sec desktop upgrades that develop
over time, necessitating a rebuild...

--Mike

Disclaimer: I think that disclaimers are an incredibly sad statement about our
society.  Nonetheless, nothing that I say can or should be construed as having
been said by anyone.  Ever.