[comp.sys.mac] Inside the Macintosh questions

heilpern@ibd.BRL.MIL (Mark A. Heilpern ) (10/06/89)

I just picked up a copy of "Inside the Macintosh" for the first time, and
would like to learn about programming on the Mac. I'm concerned, however,
that the copyright on the book (Vol. 1-3) is 1985. Is the information
covered all current, for Mac-II current models?

Thanks in advance...
	--Mark

marc@Apple.COM (Mark Dawson) (10/07/89)

In article <284@ibd.BRL.MIL> heilpern@brl.arpa (Mark A. Heilpern (IBD) <heilpern>) writes:
>I just picked up a copy of "Inside the Macintosh" for the first time, and
>would like to learn about programming on the Mac. I'm concerned, however,
>that the copyright on the book (Vol. 1-3) is 1985. Is the information
>covered all current, for Mac-II current models?

No,  you should get at least volume IV (this covers the current,
"hierarchical"  file system call extensions).  Volume V covers stuff like
color and other enhancements.

So, you probably should pick up two more books (?)  Volumes IV & V.

   -Mark

jb28+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey Joseph Barbose) (10/09/89)

Mark,

There are 5 volumes of Inside Macintosh.

Volumes 4 and 5 are 'delta documents', which means that they contain only info
describing the differences and additions to the original (vols I-III).

Volume 4 outlines the changes made upon introduction of the Plus
Volume 5 outlines the changes made upon introduction of the SE and II (such
things as pop-up menus, Color Quickdraw, etc.)

Jeff

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (10/09/89)

Inside Macintosh ($100 for I, II, IV, V) is very expensive and
nontrivial to digest.  People said to me, "Buy Inside Macintosh.
You'll need it anyway," but I think this is bad advice for a
beginner.  Buy books as you need them, since it's easy to WASTE $200
on macintosh programming books, and still not learn what you need to
know.

I suggest you start with a tutorial.  Here are some decent tutorials:

Programming the Macintosh with TURBO PASCAL, Tom Swan (older)
Programming the Mac with Lightspeed C (or somesuch.  A very recent book).

I have inside mac but haven't used it much.  I mostly used the turbo
pascal book (even though I code with lightspeed C).  The "Macintosh
Revealed" reference manuals (I, II, III, $75), consolidate the Inside
mac manuals and omit some out-of-date information.

Don Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

pcmeier@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Pascal Constantin Meier) (10/10/89)

In article <8400179@m.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>Inside Macintosh ($100 for I, II, IV, V) is very expensive and
>nontrivial to digest.  People said to me, "Buy Inside Macintosh.

>I suggest you start with a tutorial.  Here are some decent tutorials:

>Programming the Mac with Lightspeed C (or somesuch.  A very recent book).

This book is called The Macintosh Programming Primer. It is a GREAT book
which is dedicated to the Lightspeed C environment. Lotsa source code,
lotsa good tips.

Enjoy!,
Pascal

heilpern@ibd.BRL.MIL (Mark A. Heilpern ) (10/10/89)

Thank you to everyone who has responded, both news and email, concerning
my questions.
	--Mark