[comp.sys.mac] Disappearing Icons

bj@gvgspd.GVG.TEK.COM (Brion Johnson) (10/07/89)

EMITHBDONB (Excuse Me If This Has Been Discussed On the Net Before),
but I seem to have a funny happening in multifinder.  About a quarter
of the time, and corrilated to nothing that I can put my finger on,
the Icons on the right side of the mac screen (Disks and Trash) just
vanish after being covered up by a window, and the window being put
away or moved away.  When they are vanished, I can reappear them
by clicking on the old icon location, or by clicking and dragging a
selection box that includes them.

Nothing else bad seems to be happening, and no, I have not rebuilt
the system or reinnitialized the disk.

I see it happening on both a Mac Plus with 42M syquest, and a Mac II with
60M Rodime.

Any thoughts or suggestions?  Thanks.

Brion

knapp@cs.utexas.edu (Edgar Knapp) (10/08/89)

In article <875@gvgspd.GVG.TEK.COM> bj@gvgspd.GVG.TEK.COM (Brion Johnson) writes:
>EMITHBDONB (Excuse Me If This Has Been Discussed On the Net Before),
>but I seem to have a funny happening in multifinder.  About a quarter
>of the time, and corrilated to nothing that I can put my finger on,
>the Icons on the right side of the mac screen (Disks and Trash) just
>vanish after being covered up by a window, and the window being put
>away or moved away.  When they are vanished, I can reappear them
>by clicking on the old icon location, or by clicking and dragging a
>selection box that includes them.
[...]
>Brion

I discovered similar behavior on my system, too. Not only would the
finder not update the desktop in time, but also other applications'
windows would only be updated upon those apps' activation.

Realizing that the problem had appeared after installing cmdr.dialog
INIT, I threw it out, and all has been well again since.

Edgar

(knapp@cs.utexas.edu)

heilpern@ibd.BRL.MIL (Mark A. Heilpern ) (10/10/89)

I've occasionally had icons dissappear also, and have attributed this
to certain programs under multi-finder. It seems that these programs
are not written correctly for mulit-finder use, and when they cover
something up, they simply do not restore it properly. The only way I've found
to recover (short of restarting) is to open a window, a folder works good,
and enlargen it, then drag it over the spots you know an icon should be.
After removing the folder from this spot, things should be restored.

	--Mark