[comp.sys.mac] 4D V2 Traps

layne@trout.cis.ohio-state.edu (eric b layne) (10/09/89)

Search by layout is a great new feature in version 2 of 4th dimension
However, you have to be carefull when using '#' sign in your fields.

Eg.

I was tring to do a search by layout for a department called #3 Zinc Grip.
I typed #3 Zinc Grip into the department field, so it should give me all
of the entries in that department Right?....WRONG!
It gave me all of the entries.  When I looked at the search by formula
screen it said

Department          is not equal to           3 Zinc Grip

Obviously it took the # to mean 'not equal to' and since I didn't have any
departments call '3 Zinc Grip', It gave me all the records.

There are two ways to get around this problem.  Either use No. for the # sign,
or don't use search by layout, (make your own search dialog using variables).

--Eric Layne

liemandt@lindy.Stanford.EDU (Joe Liemandt) (10/10/89)

In article <65820@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> eric b layne <layne@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>Search by layout is a great new feature in version 2 of 4th dimension
>However, you have to be carefull when using '#' sign in your fields.
>
>Eg.
>
>I was tring to do a search by layout for a department called #3 Zinc Grip.
>I typed #3 Zinc Grip into the department field, so it should give me all
>of the entries in that department Right?....WRONG!
>It gave me all of the entries.  When I looked at the search by formula
>screen it said
>
>Department          is not equal to           3 Zinc Grip
>
>Obviously it took the # to mean 'not equal to' and since I didn't have any
>departments call '3 Zinc Grip', It gave me all the records.
>
>There are two ways to get around this problem.  Either use No. for the # sign,
>or don't use search by layout, (make your own search dialog using variables).
>
>--Eric Layne

There is another way around the problem.  4D looks at the first
character in the seach by layout field.  If it is a comparison
operator, it uses that for the comparison, it then takes the rest of
the string as the criterion.  If no operater is given it defaults to
"=".

So, to search for the string "#3 Zinc Grip"  You would enter the string

    =#3 Zinc Grip

This will find all #3 Zinc Grips.

Joe Liemandt
liemandt@lindy.stanford.edu