[comp.sys.mac] Broken Quantum HD80

dmr@csli.Stanford.EDU (Daniel M. Rosenberg) (10/05/89)

I know this was discussed before, but I didn't actually find an answer
in my slogging through comp.sys.mac. We have an SE/30 with a Quantum
(I suppose -- haven't opened the case) HD80 which has worked marvelously
so far, but now fails to get started on power-up. What was the cause of
this? Our Macintosh is just a few weeks old. Is the solution really to
leave the thing on all the time?

Please respond by email. Thanks very much, and sorry for any rehashing.
--
# Daniel M. Rosenberg     //  Stanford CSLI  // Eat my opinions, not Stanford's.
# dmr@csli.stanford.edu  // decwrl!csli!dmr // dmr%csli@stanford.bitnet

FTWILSON@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Frederick Todd Wilson) (10/06/89)

In article <10539@csli.Stanford.EDU>, dmr@csli.Stanford.EDU (Daniel M. Rosenberg) writes:

>I know this was discussed before, but I didn't actually find an answer
>in my slogging through comp.sys.mac. We have an SE/30 with a Quantum
>(I suppose -- haven't opened the case) HD80 which has worked marvelously
>so far, but now fails to get started on power-up. What was the cause of
>this? Our Macintosh is just a few weeks old. Is the solution really to
>leave the thing on all the time?

Though I'm not certain, I believe I recently read here that Apple had
recognized the problem, and formulated a solution. Whatever, the
specific solution was, it involved working through your dealer. They
should now be aware of whatever policy Apple has determined.

Todd Wilson

My statements do not reflect the opinions of Apple or Princeton University

stevel@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Steve Ligett) (10/10/89)

flame on:

In many articles people write something like:
> My SE/30 hard drive doesn't always boot.
- (Or the monitor, or the hard drive, or the keyboard, or the mouse,
- or *something* smokes, squeals, snaps, shimmies, or is broken.)
  ^-----------------------------------^
> Is the solution really to
> leave the thing on all the time?
- (Or, can I open the Mac and fix it myself?
- Or, shall I just ignore the problem and hope it goes away?)

Folks, if you buy a new Macintosh (or car, or whatever), and it's
broken, have it fixed!  If you *think* there is a problem, take the
computer to your dealer, and have them (at least attempt to) fix it!

If you screw with it yourself, or you live with an intermittent problem
during the warranty period, you really can't blame the dealer for
charging to fix it when your Mac dies completely, 2 days after the
warranty is up.  Get your complaint down on paper.

flame off.  (thanks, I feel better now.)
--
Steve Ligett       steve.ligett@dartmouth.edu or
(decvax harvard linus true)!dartvax!steve.ligett