[comp.sys.mac] Info Request: IPT Personal Server Network

phil@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk (09/27/89)

A colleague here at the University of Liverpool is interested in a replacement
for TOPS.  We've heard about the "IPT Personal Server Network", but aside from
Alexis Rosen's two postings about it we haven't seen any more information about
it.  Does anyone have any further info (or an address we can mail to to get any
further info.)  The reason for the interest is because we want a background
Appleshare server - we don't want a machine that's fully tied up running the
server software.  The other advantage is that we could have several servers.
Are there any other such systems available (I seem to recall hearing rumours
about Apple making one themselves!!)

If I receive any replies I'll summarise them here.

Phil Jimmieson,           ***************************************************
Computer Science Dept.,   *                                                 *
Liverpool University,     * JANET : PHIL@UK.AC.LIV.CS.MVA                   *
PO Box 147                * ARPA  : PHIL%mva.cs.liv.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu   *
Liverpool  L69  3BX       *                                                 *
(UK) 051-794-3689         ***************************************************

kent@sunfs3.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (10/02/89)

In article <2048@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk> phil@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk writes:
>A colleague here at the University of Liverpool is interested in a replacement
>for TOPS.  We've heard about the "IPT Personal Server Network", but aside from
>Alexis Rosen's two postings about it we haven't seen any more information about

We have recently been trying the Sun server version of the uShare
product.  It makes the Sun look like an AppleShare server.  We have
had problems, but they are being ironed out.

= Has it crashed my Mac?  Yes.

= Has it done it recently--in our current configuration?  No.

= Did it cause other Sun users net-havoc on Friday when I did a lot of
file copying?  Yes.

= Do we know yet, whether it was the Kinetics box at fault, or IPT, or
something else?  No.

= Is it a lot faster than the GatorBox?  Yes, when using a disk which
is local to the Sun running uShare--cross mounted disks on other Suns
need NFS<=>AFP translating, which is slow.

= Is it worth looking at?  Yes.

= Will I know more later?  Yes.

= Will I post something?  If anyone is interested.

--
Kent Borg				"Then again I could be foolish
kent@lloyd.uucp				 not to quit while I'm ahead..."

jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeffrey M White) (10/05/89)

In article <518@sunfs3.camex.uucp> kent@lloyd.UUCP (Kent Borg) writes:
>We have recently been trying the Sun server version of the uShare
>product.  It makes the Sun look like an AppleShare server.  We have
>had problems, but they are being ironed out.
>= Is it a lot faster than the GatorBox?  Yes, when using a disk which
>is local to the Sun running uShare--cross mounted disks on other Suns
>need NFS<=>AFP translating, which is slow.

  What I'd like to know is of it is faster and/or better than aufs under CAP,
which gives you the same thing for free.

						Jeff White
						University of Pennsylvania
						jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

r_osborn@vaxa.uwa.oz (10/11/89)