[comp.sys.mac] Need postscript and/or printer utility

maj1@tank.uchicago.edu (Major Robinson jr.) (10/05/89)

Is there a utility out there that will simply take a postscript file and send
it to the printer without having to interpret the file?  My problem is
this:  I can generate a postscript file from a certain program at home.
However, the only laser printer I have access to is at the office.  For
various reasons, I cannot run the program from home on the Mac at the
office.  What I can do is bring in the postcript file on disk.  So if there
is a utility that will open the file and send it out the serial port without
having to be compatible with the original program, then that's what I need.

Can anyone offer me suggestions?  A public domain program would be great,
but I'll buy one if it's inexpensive.  Please respond via email, if possible.

Thanks much.

--
Major Robinson jr.
maj1@tank.uchicago.edu

bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Ronald Bannon) (10/05/89)

In article <5655@tank.uchicago.edu> maj1@tank.uchicago.edu (Major Robinson jr.) writes:
>Is there a utility out there that will simply take a postscript file and send
>it to the printer without having to interpret the file?  My problem is
>this:  I can generate a postscript file from a certain program at home.
>However, the only laser printer I have access to is at the office.  For
>various reasons, I cannot run the program from home on the Mac at the
>office.  What I can do is bring in the postcript file on disk.  So if there
>is a utility that will open the file and send it out the serial port without
>having to be compatible with the original program, then that's what I need.
>
>Can anyone offer me suggestions?  A public domain program would be great,
>but I'll buy one if it's inexpensive.  Please respond via email, if possible.
>
>Thanks much.
>
>--
>Major Robinson jr.
>maj1@tank.uchicago.edu

SendPS, available for anonymous ftp from sumex (I think.)

Ron Bannon
bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu
bannon@math.rutgers.edu

Ron Bannon
bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Is George Bush a traitor? Read "October Surprise" by Honegger. Send for details.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

flowers@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Margot Flowers) (10/12/89)

>Is there a utility out there that will simply take a postscript file and send
>it to the printer without having to interpret the file?  My problem is
>this:  I can generate a postscript file from a certain program at home.
>However, the only laser printer I have access to is at the office.  For
>various reasons, I cannot run the program from home on the Mac at the
>office.  What I can do is bring in the postcript file on disk.  ...

You don't need to go the postscript route for this home work -> office
printer situation.  A program that was designed for exactly this is
Glue, and its successors SuperGlue and SuperGlue II.  You wouldn't
know it from their ads, but it basically offers a print to disk
facility and then a facility for taking a disk image file and viewing
in on screen or printing it on a printer, with various bells and
whistles.  I think it uses quickdraw rather than postscript (you can't
view postscript on-screen, for example, though it will print it on a
postscript printer), but it works great.  For example, I've used it to
get all my MacInTax output printed (copies of IRS forms plus my filled
in info), running MacInTax at home and printing on a laserwriter
elsewhere, and noticed no problems.