[comp.sys.mac] Personal Finance Prog. Recommendations?

harlanp@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Peter Harlan) (10/07/89)

Can anyone recommend a personal finance package for the Mac?  There
are quite a few, and I haven't been able to find a comparison (no
library seems to have back issues of popular Mac mags.)

I want to tell it my income, cash, monthly expenses and savings
account, and find out if I will go broke in a year.  Like, "Can I buy a
new stereo, or should I look for a higher paying job?"

Cost is secondary to getting a package that does what I want, but I
would like to spend no more than necessary.

A spreadsheet format would be nice -- should I just buy a spreadsheet?

I sure would appreciate any feedback anyone has on programs they have
used.

Pete Harlan
Indiana University
<harlanp@silver.bacs.inaiana.edu>

fleming@cup.portal.com (Stephen R Fleming) (10/09/89)

I have used MacMoney religiously since 1986, and can't imagine running
my finances without it.  I've looked at all the others, but they either
throw in a lot of complexity I don't need (portfolio tracking, etc.) or
they miss out on some real basics (like maintaining seven checking
accounts for various purposes).  Also, I find the user interface for
MacMoney to be clean enough that it doesn't get in my way... important
when I have to dedicate an hour every weekend to data entry and paying
bills.  (Not normal... I write 70+ checks a month.)

+--------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
|  Stephen Fleming         | My employer doesn't pay for this account. |
|  fleming@cup.portal.com  | In fact, my employer doesn't even know    |
|  CI$:   76354,3176       | I'm here!  Disclaimer enough for any      |
|  Voice: (703) 847-7058   | network-aware lawyer-types, I hope...     |
+--------------------------+-------------------------------------------+

pwp@shamash.cdc.com ( HOUFAC) (10/10/89)

In article <22909@cup.portal.com> fleming@cup.portal.com (Stephen R Fleming) writes:
>I have used MacMoney religiously since 1986, and can't imagine running
>my finances without it.  I've looked at all the others, but they either
>   < Rest deleted >

Add my vote for MacMoney.

My wife's a CPA, and she uses MacMoney to track our personal finances.  She's
quite happy with it's capabilities (no big stock portfolio here :->).  Her
only complaint is that the report formatting isn't as flexible as she'd like.
(One of these days I'm gonna write some Excel Macros for her to fix that.)

From my perspecive as System Administrator, Survivor Software is one of the
very best for customer support.  They've been extremely helpful on the
occasions that I've called, and have charged very reasonable prices for
new releases. They are also the only company I've encountered that has
voluntarily shipped a fix for minor bugs  to all customers. Absolutely
top notch support.

--Pete Poorman
  pwp@shamash.cdc.com

felix@AI.SRI.COM (Francois Felix INGRAND) (10/11/89)

In article <14224@shamash.cdc.com>, pwp@shamash ( HOUFAC) writes:
>In article <22909@cup.portal.com> fleming@cup.portal.com (Stephen R Fleming) writes:
>>I have used MacMoney religiously since 1986, and can't imagine running
>>my finances without it.  I've looked at all the others, but they either
>>   < Rest deleted >
>
>Add my vote for MacMoney.
>   < Rest deleted >

Add mine too. I checked
- Quicken (sp?) and drop it because of its unability to manage Credit
  Card account in a natural way.
- $ and Senses is more expensive than MM without giving me new
  features in which I am interested.
- same thing for MYM

The features I would like to see in MacMoney are (although I can live
without them):
- To be able to deal with more than one currency,
- a better automatic mode,
- a better export mode (to import and export stuff from/to excel for example)

Overall, it is a very good software, worth every $ you pay for it.
Francois Felix INGRAND                          SRI International, AIC
felix@AI.SRI.COM                                333, Ravenswood Avenue
felix%AI.SRI.COM@UUNET.UU.NET                   MENLO PARK, CA 94025, USA
"Pourquoi tant de haine..." (Edika)      "Read my Lisp... No new syntax" (nil)

joe@gistdev.UUCP (Joe Brownlee) (10/12/89)

In several recent articles, a posting regarding a choice of personal finance
software packages has been answered by recommending "MacMoney".

I concur.  We use MacMoney and it has a nice, clean interface, and all the
features you need.  I like the graphing abilities provided myself.

One other point in its favor -- the publisher had been known to send free
upgrades when bugs are fixed.  This is a pratice that I think we all have to
applaud as users, and one that should be considered in buying software from
a given publisher.  I don't mind too much if software has minor problems if
there is a commitment from the company producing the software to fix those
problems and get them out to the users.  Kudos, Survivor!

Joe Brownlee               | The best diplomat I know is a fully activated
Global Information Systems | phaser bank.  -- Montgomery Scott
1800 Woodfield Drive       |
Savoy, Illinois 61874	   | Pay attention to what I say.  Start a trend.
(217) 352-1165	           | UUCP: {uunet,pur-ee,convex}!gistdev!joe

flowers@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Margot Flowers) (10/12/89)

[recommendations for MacMoney...]

I recently spoke to them on the phone, and they said a new version was
coming out "real soon now" and that a brochure describing it was going
out in about two weeks.  You might want to hold off for the new
version before doing feature comparisons.