[comp.sys.mac] FTP sites and hints

kentsu@microsoft.UUCP (Kent Sullivan) (10/13/89)

A friend of mine now has access to a machine on the ARPAnet and would like
to obtain some of the great Mac software that I have heard is archived at
various sites.  Could someone please email me a list of the "best" sites
along with a short description (what's there; useful access/navigation info)
of each?

Thanks!

Kent Sullivan
Microsoft Corporation

The opinions expressed in this article are mine and do not necessarily
reflect those of my employer.

chrisj@ut-emx.UUCP (Chris Johnson) (10/13/89)

In article <8018@microsoft.UUCP> kentsu@microsoft.UUCP (Kent Sullivan) writes:
>A friend of mine now has access to a machine on the ARPAnet and would like
>to obtain some of the great Mac software that I have heard is archived at
>various sites.  Could someone please email me a list of the "best" sites
>along with a short description (what's there; useful access/navigation info)
>of each?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Kent Sullivan
>Microsoft Corporation

In addition to sumex and simtel, there's one almost completely unknown
archive site that you may care to examine:  microlib.  It can be accessed
by anonymous ftp from either one of two machines:  ix1.cc.utexas.edu or
ix2.cc.utexas.edu.  After years of decay it's finally come back to life.

There are sections for the Mac (my favorite), IBM PC, Z-100 and Amiga.  To
to find the Mac section, just type "cd microlib/mac".  It's all pretty
straightforward from there.

Microlib is *not* the best stocked archive site on the internet.  Sumex and
Simtel both have far more extensive collections, and it's likely to stay
that way.  Nonetheless, microlib does have items that don't seem to be
available at other sites, or are only available in older versions elsewhere.

I hope you find it of interest,
----Chris