[comp.sys.mac] Font Definition

mr2t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Tod Rose) (10/12/89)

In <110300013@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu>, Doug McDonald
<mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> writes:

>Incidentally, what size IS Adobe's Times Roman intended for -
>all the different sizes it prints out are just scaled versions of
>what presumably originated as a copy of one particular size of
>a genuine (metal) Times Roman font. The letters of real (metal)
>fonts are usually shaped differently (not scaled versions of one
>another), at least a little, for each font (size of type).

One of the big selling points of Adobe's fonts is the hinting technology
that they engineer into their faces.  It basically enables the kind of
thing you're talking about -- the 24 point Times Roman is not shaped
exactly like the 12 point Times Roman, and neither is quite like the
16-point Times Roman.  This is the trick that Adobe worked on for such a
long time, and it's this trick (along with superior typeface design)
that makes Adobe faces worth the extra-high prices.

Of course, now that Adobe is publishing their Type 1 (hinted, encrypted,
compressed) font definition, everyone can produce nicely hinted fonts in
their basement... ;-]

I'm sure that Brian Benzason (sp?) of Adobe will have something to add
here... BTW, kudos to Brian for a championship job of answering
inquiries on ATM here on comp.sys.mac; speaking for a potential ATM
customer, we do appreciate the sincere (and honest) support.

-mike

jnh@ecemwl.ncsu.edu (Joseph N. Hall) (10/13/89)

In article <cZAyiJm00WBLM2epx_@andrew.cmu.edu> mr2t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Tod Rose) writes:
>In <110300013@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu>, Doug McDonald
><mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> writes:
>>... genuine (metal) Times Roman font. The letters of real (metal)
>>fonts are usually shaped differently (not scaled versions of one
>>another), at least a little, for each font (size of type).
>
>One of the big selling points of Adobe's fonts is the hinting technology
>that they engineer into their faces.  It basically enables the kind of
>thing you're talking about -- the 24 point Times Roman is not shaped
>exactly like the 12 point Times Roman, and neither is quite like the
>16-point Times Roman.  This is the trick that Adobe worked on for such a
>long time, and it's this trick (along with superior typeface design)
>that makes Adobe faces worth the extra-high prices.

Now, wait a minute.  I've always thought that font "hints" were instructions
for mapping characters onto relatively low-resolution grids in an attractive
way.  If what you're saying is true, then a 6-point 'x' output at 600 dpi
would look different than a 12-point 'x' output at 300 dpi (after you
enlarge the 6-point 'x' by a factor of 2).  My understanding has been that
the size of the characters relative to the output resolution is what is
important, not the absolute size of the characters.  Am I wrong?  Certainly,
I'll admit that there are modifications that could be made to small characters
to make them more readable and more printable than strictly reduced versions
of corresponding large characters, and I'll agree that this has been common
practice for centuries; but I hadn't heard that this use of absolute
typeface size was a feature of PostScript.

Is it?

v   v sssss|| joseph hall                      || 4116 Brewster Drive
 v v s   s || jnh@ecemwl.ncsu.edu (Internet)   || Raleigh, NC  27606
  v   sss  || SP Software/CAD Tool Developer, Mac Hacker and Keyboardist
-----------|| Disclaimer: NCSU may not share my views, but is welcome to.

bezanson@adobe.COM (Brian Bezanson) (10/13/89)

In article <cZAyiJm00WBLM2epx_@andrew.cmu.edu> mr2t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Tod Rose) writes:
>I'm sure that Brian Benzason (sp?) of Adobe will have something to add
>here... BTW, kudos to Brian for a championship job of answering
>inquiries on ATM here on comp.sys.mac; speaking for a potential ATM
>customer, we do appreciate the sincere (and honest) support.
>
>-mike

Thanks for the compliments Mike, glad I was able to answer people's questions.
The last name is 'Bezanson', shift the 'n' 2 places to the right :-)

For those interested in ATM, it has gone to the duplicators and should be
available in a week or so. One note I'd like to make is that there did appear
to be some confusion and misinformation going around (from 2 messages I
received) regarding ATM. It doesn't require any specific print drivers. This
means that it will work on a PostScript printer (Apple LaserWriter II, Plus,
QMS ColorScript, etc...) or QuickDraw Devices (monitors, H.P. LaserJets, Epson
printers via Grappler or MacPrint software, film recorders, fax modems, H.P.
DeskWriter/Jet, Apple Imagewriter I, II, & LQ and Laserwriter SC, etc...).
The only requirements are that the applications use the Mac Toolbox to do
their Text/type display.

Hope that clears up those questions and any remaining ones can be posted
here or answered by your dealer showing you ATM in a week or two.

--
Brian Bezanson                                          bezanson@adobe.com
Adobe Systems Incorporated           The opinions expressed above are my