[comp.sys.mac] Apple to Fix Quantum Drive Failures

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (10/11/89)

From the October 10 issue of MacWeek, Cover story...I"ll just post
the main points...

Affected units: Quantum 40 & 80 meg hard drives.

Problem: Increased lubricant viscosity in the hard disk drive arm (HDA)
assy. Apple's sites high humidity.

Solution: An extended repair program that will continue to October 1991.
The fix will replace a ROM on the HDA controller PWA. Users that have
already paid for out-of-warranty repairs will be able to apply to Apple
for reimbursement.

Thats the jist of it, some other comments about the fix, and other comments
about Apple's supposed blindness to the problem...hope this will help
some of you that were affected by this problem...

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

long@rainbo.enet.dec.com (Richard Long) (10/11/89)

In article <957@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM>, ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) writes...

>From the October 10 issue of MacWeek, Cover story...I"ll just post

[deleted text]

>Problem: Increased lubricant viscosity in the hard disk drive arm (HDA)
>assy. Apple's sites high humidity.
>
>Solution: An extended repair program that will continue to October 1991.
>The fix will replace a ROM on the HDA controller PWA. Users that have

[deleted more text]

umm...err...maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how the problem
cited above could be solved by a software fix; sounds like a hardware
problem to me...

rich

 /~~) /~~ /     | long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com            | "...guess you wouldn't
/~~\ /__ /__    | ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long | lie to me about a
Richard C. Long | long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com | thing like that." -MASH

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (10/12/89)

In article <5327@shlump.nac.dec.com> long@rainbo.enet.dec.com (Richard Long) writes:

>>Problem: Increased lubricant viscosity in the hard disk drive arm (HDA)
>>assy. Apple's sites high humidity.
>>
>>Solution: An extended repair program that will continue to October 1991.
>>The fix will replace a ROM on the HDA controller PWA. Users that have

>umm...err...maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how the problem
>cited above could be solved by a software fix; sounds like a hardware
>problem to me...

The reason that the ROM fixes the problem is that that the programming
can determine how much current and for how long to apply it to the HDA
assy, which should reportedly overcome the higher lubricant viscosity
problem that occurs over time due to high humidity.

--

kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (10/12/89)

In article <5327@shlump.nac.dec.com> long@rainbo.enet.dec.com (Richard Long) writes:

->Problem: Increased lubricant viscosity in the hard disk drive arm (HDA)
->assy. Apple's sites high humidity.

->Solution: An extended repair program that will continue to October 1991.
->The fix will replace a ROM on the HDA controller PWA. Users that have

>umm...err...maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how the problem
>cited above could be solved by a software fix; sounds like a hardware
>problem to me...

This fix is per the old adage: "If it doesn't work -- don't force it.  Find
out WHY it doesn't work.  Then force it."

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

wiechman@athos.rutgers.edu (NightMeower) (10/12/89)

Up to this point in time, my Quantum 40 has worked fine but that of
course does not mean that it will continue to do so (Knock on wood).

All of this discussion has only said that there are some problems with
certain Quantums 40s or 80s.  Which ones are at risk?  It would be
extremely beneficial (sp?) if those people that have had real problems
with their Quantums post the serial numbers.  That way we could get an
idea of which drives have the largest potential for disastor at a
later time and we could then send them in for the "fix".

You can bet Apple and Quantum aren't going to freely give this
information out considering how long it took to finally be recognized
as a problem.  After this posting, I am certain to have lots of
friends at Apple ;-)

Kevin
Kevin S. Wiechmann			arpa:  wiechman@rutgers.rutgers.edu

	 This is only a test... for the next sixty seconds...

mikem@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Mike Morton) (10/13/89)

wiechman@athos.rutgers.edu (NightMeower) writes:
>All of this discussion has only said that there are some problems with
>certain Quantums 40s or 80s.  Which ones are at risk?

Having seen TWO 80Mb drives go south this summer, I've been following
this stuff with great interest.  I talked with Apple Customer Relations
today, and they told me:

1) The new PROM is a fix which prevents problems with the disk lubricant
   from showing up.  (I know zip about hardware; any experts care to
   comment on whether this is plausible?)  I thought the guy said there
   is also a separate firmware bug which the PROM fixes, but I'm not sure
   I got this right.

   [A mailing from Apple Developer Services, dated 3 Oct, says that the
   PROM fix has nothing to do with the "stiction" problem, which I assume
   means the lubricant problem.  Wonder who to trust here...]

2) Apple dealers know which drive numbers mean bad lubricant, and I assume
   they'll give you new PROMs, although the person I talked to said that
   PROMs will probably be in short supply...

Meanwhile, my THIRD drive has been making infrequent buzzing noises,
similar to the single death-rattle my FIRST one emitted before croaking.
It'll be a long time before I buy another Apple-label drive.

 -- Mike Morton // P.O. Box 11378, Honolulu, HI  96828, (808) 676-6966 HST
      Internet: mikem@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu
    (anagrams): Mr. Machine Tool; Ethical Mormon; Chosen Immortal; etc.

cej@ll1a.att.com (Jones) (10/13/89)

(Richard Long) writes:
>In article <957@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM>, ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM
>(Norman Goodger) writes...
>>
>>Problem: [HD death due to "sticktion"]
>>Solution: An extended repair program that will continue to October 1991.
>>The fix will replace a ROM on the HDA controller PWA. Users that have
>
>umm...err...maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how the problem
>cited above could be solved by a software fix; sounds like a hardware
>problem to me...

	Actually I can imagine how a ROM swap might help (but *not*
fix) the problem.

	It takes much more power to get a hard disk up to speed than it
does to keep it spinning, even without the spindle sticking.  (Ever
notice the similarity between the platter/spindle assembly in a hard
drive and a flywheel?)

	Old, large, hard drives used pretty good sized power-amplifiers
and discrete timing circuits to feed several times more power to the
spindle motor during spin-up.  (Forget the price per Meg, do you realize
the reduction there's been in weight in the last decade?  Years past, I
dragged around 2.5M drives that weighed 60 lbs.)

	(Since I haven't worked on disk drives for a few years the
following is a bit of speculation.)

	In new drives I would imagine that rather than discrete
circuits, the start-up current and it's duration is determined by the
ROM.  So, if this is true, a new ROM might either increase the start-up
current (if possible), or increase it's duration.

	Or, if the the logic detects the fact that the drive has not
started to spin in some maximum time, the ROM could "pulse" the current
to the motor, attempting to "rock" or "jar" the spindle loose.

	[Again, this is just educated speculation, but if it's true, I
just hope the spindle motor is rated to handle the additional power.
And I'm only speculating since no one who has the inside scoop seems to
be talking.]

...att!ll1a!cej  Llewellyn Jones  [Just me, not AT&T]  cej@ll1a.att.com
>> This article may NOT be forwarded by the 'In Moderation Network' <<

How many would vote for putting Pete Rose in the Hall of Fame,
	*and* taking his picture *off* of Wheaties?  -  Mark Russel