[comp.sys.mac] Black Box 1.00 problems

dcbii@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (dcbii) (10/11/89)

Any one out there remember the (by now archaic) game Black Box 1.00?  I have
what seems to be a very unusual problem with it:  It runs from a floppy disk,
but NOT from the hard disk!  I am using a MacII with System 6.0.3 and
various INITs.  It makes no difference if I turn color off or turn off the
INITs/cdevs.  It always runs fine if I put it on a floppy disk and run it
from there, but never if I run it from the hard disk.  Running it from the
hard disk just returns you to Finder without ever having seen any of the
game.  By the way, I'm NOT using Multifinder.

Has anyone out there seen this problem, or a similar problem with another
program?  This one really has me stumped.  I would really appreciate it if
someone could tell me what is (or might be) happening.

Dave Barnhart
NCR Corp.
Engineering & Manufacturing
West Columbia, SC  29169

jurjen@cwi.nl (Jurjen N.E. Bos) (10/13/89)

In article <5212@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM> dcbii@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM () writes:
>Any one out there remember the (by now archaic) game Black Box 1.00?  I have
>what seems to be a very unusual problem with it:  It runs from a floppy disk,
>but NOT from the hard disk!  I am using a MacII with System 6.0.3 and

Yes, I know the program.  The problem is very simple:  The program never heard
of HFS, so it assumes it is in the root folder of your disk.
I guess you put the program in your "games" folder on the hard disk, didn't you?
Try it in the root.  It *will* work, no matter INITs or whatever.
Still wondering what assumption causes this behaviour...
--
|                 | "Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what |
| Jurjen N.E. Bos | it might appear to others that what you were or might |