[comp.sys.mac] LaserPrep in the CMD-K/F file with 6.0?

pj@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Paul Jacoby) (10/10/89)

Well, I don't have the 6.0 LaserWriter driver to try this out, but there was a
tip posted a while back (I'm not sure it was here) that points out the fact
that someone was thinking of us poor users.  There is actually a "Print to
Disk" check box in the LaserWriter 5.2 driver!
hange in the window.

1.  With ResEdit, open the "LaserWriter" file.
2.  Find and open DITL #8191.  This is the LaserWriter "Print..." dialog.
3.  Using the "DITL" menu, select item number 22.  You will not notice any
    change in the window.
4.  Without clicking anywhere else, select "Open..." from the File menu.  This
    will put up that standard DITL Item editing window.  You will notice that
   the bounding rectangle of this item is 0,0,0,0.  Change it to 0,0,20,60 or
    something like that.  Close the editing window.  You will notice that
behind the word "LaserWriter" in the upper left there is now a button
labelled "Disk File."
5.  Grab that button (actually it's a checkbox), move it where you wish, and
  adjust the size to suit your fancy.
6.  Close, save, yada yada yada

Now, when you want to "print to disk," you will be able to simply check the
"Disk File" box, click "OK," and kick back...

-----
  This was posted in July, and re-iterated on a local BBS.  It works GREAT on
the 5.2 driver, and apparently the one just previous to 5.2.  As I say, I
don't have 6.0 to try it, but it might be worth a go.
  The big question is, of course, will THAT file include the LaserPrep?
.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| UUCP: {rosevax, crash, orator}!orbit!pnet51!pj |  Working with idiots keeps |
| ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!pj@nosc.mil           |  my life interesting...    |
| INET: pj@pnet51.cts.com                        |                            |

kscott@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Keith Scott) (10/11/89)

	Howdy,

		I had no problem with command-f producing a short (i.e.
		without the laser prep) postscript file using LaserWriter
		version 6.0  I then did all the macps*  (from Sumex) stuff
		to the postscript file and it printed beautifully.

		I don't know which version of LaserPrep, though, I assume
		whichever version comes with LaserWriter 6.0.

				--keith

zben@umd5.umd.edu (Ben Cranston) (10/11/89)

In article <1234@orbit.UUCP> pj@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Paul Jacoby) writes:

> There is actually a "Print to Disk" check box in the LaserWriter 5.2 driver!
> Now, when you want to "print to disk," you will be able to simply check the
> "Disk File" box, click "OK," and kick back...

> This was posted in July, and re-iterated on a local BBS.  It works GREAT on
> the 5.2 driver, and apparently the one just previous to 5.2.  As I say, I
> don't have 6.0 to try it, but it might be worth a go.

I used the "myPageSetup" program to make the item visible, but other than
that the capability is still there in 6.0 and I use it.

> The big question is, of course, will THAT file include the LaserPrep?

No, and that is what you want for the normal case.  Include the LaserPrep
file in the spooler driver or when you send the file off for printing.

I put a hack into my MacQPr that detects the %%IncludeProcSet comment and
includes the proper (5.2 or 6.0) version of the hacked prolog file when it
is sent off to the remote MDQS postscript queue.
--
Sig     DS.L    ('ZBen')       ; Ben Cranston <zben@Trantor.UMD.EDU>
* Computer Science Center Network Infrastructures Group

tw@Atherton.COM (Tw Cook) (10/11/89)

In article <1234@orbit.UUCP>, pj@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Paul Jacoby) writes:

>	... (about adding the "Disk File" checkbox) ...
>
>  This was posted in July, and re-iterated on a local BBS.  It works GREAT on
>the 5.2 driver, and apparently the one just previous to 5.2.  As I say, I
>don't have 6.0 to try it, but it might be worth a go.
>  The big question is, of course, will THAT file include the LaserPrep?

I was able to get this procedure to work on the 6.0 driver.  It does
*not* seem to include LaserPrep.

Tw

kaz@nanovx.UUCP (Mike Kazmierczak) (10/13/89)

The Print to Disk icon mentioned previously (Located in DITL -8191, Item #22)
in LaserWriter 5.2, does exist in v. 6.0 and can be edited to function.

Mike Kazmierczak
X Systems

UUCP:gatech!nanovx!kaz
BITNET: tegammk@gitnve2

jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeffrey M White) (10/13/89)

In article <6@nanovx.UUCP> kaz@nanovx.UUCP (Mike Kazmierczak) writes:
>The Print to Disk icon mentioned previously (Located in DITL -8191, Item #22)
>in LaserWriter 5.2, does exist in v. 6.0 and can be edited to function.

  I also wanted to mention that I used the PD program myPageSetup on
LaserWriter driver 4.0, and it also enabled the print to disk selection box.
Also, another nice thing I discovered about this feature is that is DOES
work with background printing enabled (unlike the manual cmd-f/k sequence).
In this case, it creates the PostScript file in the background, and saves
it in the Spool Folder.

						Jeff White
						University of Pennsylvania
						jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu