[comp.sys.mac] MacWrite II 1.1

malczews@girtab.usc.edu (Frank Malczewski) (10/05/89)

MacWrite II 1.1 ("interim version") questions:

  1.  Whyisit that when the side by side option is selected (in reduced view),
      there is _always_ a blank space where a first page might want to appear
      (such as if page numbering were to start with an even number)?

  2.  What differences (if any) will there be between this "interim version"
      and the 1.1 that is mentioned in MacWeek as not being available till
      a bit later ("expected to announce this week").

  3.  As the person doing the selling the day I bought was a bit vague, how
      does Claris handle upgrades to its software sold to students/faculty?

Thanks for any info...
--

  -- Frank Malczewski		(malczews@girtab.usc.edu)

jake@claris.com (Char Fugel) (10/06/89)

From article <5512@merlin.usc.edu>, by malczews@girtab.usc.edu (Frank Malczewski):

> MacWrite II 1.1 ("interim version") questions:
>
>   1.  Whyisit that when the side by side option is selected (in reduced view),
>       there is _always_ a blank space where a first page might want to appear
>       (such as if page numbering were to start with an even number)?

I don't know the answer to this one - maybe one of the technical Claris folks
on the net could tell you.

>   2.  What differences (if any) will there be between this "interim version"
>       and the 1.1 that is mentioned in MacWeek as not being available till
>       a bit later ("expected to announce this week").

MacWrite II v1.1 was announced Oct. 3, 1989. It includes loads more file
translators than the interim version. In addition, there's a 100K reduction in
the size of the program and the speed has been increased by 15-50% on Mac Plus
and SE's depending on function.  There is also built-in virus protection and
the HyperHelp capabilities have been improved. (allows users to copy & paste
from the help system or linked HyperCard stacks directly into MW II).

>   3.  As the person doing the selling the day I bought was a bit vague, how
>       does Claris handle upgrades to its software sold to students/faculty?

Until I know what school you're with, I can't give you perfect info on this one.
If you bought your MW II on campus, your resale outlet CAN get the info for
you.  Bug them!! ;) You won't be able to get it for a while though - it isn't
shipping yet. Once it gets to your campus Claris Support Coordinator, they
should make it available campus-wide through the bookstore or whoever. It will
be about 4-6 weeks at least.

Basically, if you bought your MW II on campus, that's the only place to get
it updated. If you have more questions, don't hesitate to contact me. I'm the
Education Liaison here at Claris, in Customer Relations.

Char

And, yes, the preceeding information was disseminated "formally" by me in my
guise as a Claris CR agent.
--
C.D. Fugel
jake@claris.com

vita@daredevil.crd.ge.com (Mark F Vita) (10/14/89)

In article <10601@claris.com> jake@claris.com (Char Fugel) writes:
>MacWrite II v1.1 was announced Oct. 3, 1989. It includes loads more file
>translators than the interim version. In addition, there's a 100K reduction in
>the size of the program and the speed has been increased by 15-50% on Mac Plus
>and SE's depending on function.

How about the "typing in text" function :-)?  I think MacWrite II is a
very nice program; it would probably become my word processor of
choice if not for one critical flaw: typing is VEERRRYY slow on my SE.
Not quite as bad as say, FullWrite, but bad enough to make heavy text
entry quite an aggravating experience.  Even crufty old MacWrite 5.0
was faster at entering text.

Also, does "100K reduction in size" refer to the size of the file on
disk, or the size of the required Multifinder partition (or both)?

Mark Vita                              vita@crd.ge.com
General Electric CRD               	..!uunet!crd.ge.com!vita
Schenectady, NY