[comp.sys.mac] Problem with pop-up font menu in LSP II v2.01

legg@chook.ua.oz (Christian Legg) (10/14/89)

  I wonder if anyone else has come across this problem. I am using Lightspeed
Pascal version 2.01 with a Mac II, System 6.03 and practically no inits. The
system is, however, loaded down with a large number of fonts (about 40), so
any font menu will only be partially be shown on the screen.

  This is the problem - I select the source options menu and proceed to change
the source font to a font type that appears in the latter half or so of the
list, in this case times. Subsequent attempts to change the source font type
are fruitless - the pop-up menu does not appear at all. Strange things also
happen if I choose fonts just above or just below this font. By strange, I mean
that subsequent attempts to change the source font produce the pop-up font
menu, but in unusual places and unusual lengths. The places where this menu
appears is usually above the box that is clicked to change the font, and the
distance above appears to be related to the position of the font name on the
font menu.

  I would be interested to know if this is a bug in LSP or just another
undocumented feature of System 6. Either way, it is annoying!

* Christian Legg,                *                                        *
* Honours Computing Student,     * 'Base 8 is just like base 10 really... *
* University of Adelaide.        * ...if you're missing two fingers.'     *
*                                *                                        *
*                                *                      Tom Lehrer        *
* ACSnet : legg@cs.ua.oz         *                                        *

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (10/14/89)

In article <622@augean.OZ> legg@chook.ua.oz (Christian Legg) writes:

>  I wonder if anyone else has come across this problem. I am using Lightspeed
>Pascal version 2.01 with a Mac II, System 6.03 and practically no inits. The
>system is, however, loaded down with a large number of fonts (about 40), so
>any font menu will only be partially be shown on the screen.

	The problems you're having are due to a bug in Pascal, which shows up
with large numbers of fonts. There's no immediate fix, but there will be one
in the future.

R.
 Rich Siegel
 Staff Software Developer
 Symantec Corporation, Language Products Group
 Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
 UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel

"There is no personal problem which cannot be solved by sufficient
application of high explosives."