[comp.sys.mac] Mac modems

ghe@nucthy.physics.orst.edu (Guangliang He) (10/03/89)

Does anybody out there have experience with the following two different
modems?

(1) Smart One 1200/2400 modem
Note: it is a Smart One, not Smart.

(2) Supramodem 2400

Mac Warehouse sells both of them for same price ($149.00) and I have no
idea which is better. I don't see much difference from the cataloge
except the regular price is $279 for Smart One and $179 for Supramodem
but I don't know how much it means.

Any information will be welcome.

Thanks in advance.
USMAIL:   Guangliang He             |  INTERNET: ghe@PHYSICS.ORST.EDU
          Department of Physics     |  BITNET:   hegl@ORSTVM.BITNET
          Weniger Hall 301          |
          Oregon State University   |
          Corvallis, OR 97331-6507  |  PHONE:    (503) 737-4631

burian@bgsu-stu.UUCP (John M. Burian Esq.) (10/04/89)

From article <12826@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, by ghe@nucthy.physics.orst.edu (Guangliang He):

> Does anybody out there have experience with the following two different
> modems?
>
> (2) Supramodem 2400

My roommate has one of the above mentioned animals (Supra 2400).  While
he's only had it a short time, it seems quite functional.  It's about
the size of a Hayes Smartmodem(tm), and claims 100% compatability.

	JMB.

d88-sli@nada.kth.se (Stefan Lindmark) (10/04/89)

Have anyone used a SmartLink 2400 modem together with a Mac ?

--
Stefan Lindmark  Email: d88-sli@nada.kth.se  Snail-mail: Don't even bother...
- Don't ask me, I haven't even read the manual of this space shuttle.

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (10/05/89)

As for modems in general, I have a SupraModem 2400 on my AT and home.  The
only thing you need to make an RS-232C external modem work with a Mac is the
DIN-8 to DB-25 serial cable.  This applies for Hayes, US Robotics, Anchor,
Supra, Avatex, Practical Peripherals, etc.  As for the SupraModem itself, it
is a very good modem.  As for the regular price, that is the list or retail
price on the item.  I recommend the SupraModem to all of my customers at work
whether it's for a Sun Workstation or a Mac Plus.  A modem is a modem, if you
want MNP, Supra is going to release an MNP modem soon.  But $149?  That's a
wee bit high, I paid $139 for mine back in January and we sell them for $130
at where I work, unless you are getting that DIN-8 to DB-25 cable and some
terminal software with it.

 /*--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
  * Flames: /dev/null (on my Minix partition)
  * ARPA  : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil
  * INET  : jca@pnet01.cts.com
  * UUCP  : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
  * Note  : My opinions are that...mine.  My boss doesn't pay me enough to
  *         speak in the best interests of the company (yet).
  *--------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

denised@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Denise DiGiovanni) (10/14/89)

In article <12826@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> ghe@nucthy.physics.orst.edu (Guangliang He) writes:

>Does anybody out there have experience with the following two different
>modems?
>
>(1) Smart One 1200/2400 modem
>Note: it is a Smart One, not Smart.
>
>(2) Supramodem 2400

I have been using a Supra Modem 2400 from my Mac SE, and have had no
problems at all - works great, and I bought it from MacWarehouse for $149.

(Although I could use a better VT100 emulator - the one I'm using doesn't
update the screen properly in "vi" -- any suggestions?)

Denise DiGiovanni		denised@pogo.wv.tek.com
Tektronix, Inc.
P.O. Box 1000  MS 63/630
Wilsonville, OR  97070