[comp.sys.mac] NFNT & Adobe screen fonts use?

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) (10/13/89)

I read somewhere in the net that the use of NFNTs obviated the
necessity of different font (like Bold Courier and Italic Courier)
from all appearing in the font menu.  Mine do, and I'm wondering of
there's any way to tell the system to just use the font called
"B Courier Bold" when I'm entering courier text and hit command-B.

Is this able to be done now?  I use Nisus 2.03.

jas

Jeffrey A. Sullivan		| Senior Systems Programmer
jas@venera.isi.edu		| Information Sciences Institute
jas@isi.edu   DELPHI: JSULLIVAN	| University of Southern California

mr2t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Tod Rose) (10/13/89)

Jeff --

There's a handy utility that comes with Suitcase II (actually, there are
a couple of handy utilities, but one in particular) called Font
Harmonizer.  it will take your screen font files and, when used in
collusion with Font/DA Mover 3.8, will merge styled faces into a single
typeface family.  It has the added benefit of assigning NFNTs to those
fonts without them, thereby eliminating font number conflicts.  Great
for large font files in particular (imagine your font menu shrinking to
25% original length...).

The package also includes Suitcase II, the absolute king of System
resource handlers, and Font/Sound Valet, a handy compression utility
that reduced 4 megs of screen fonts down to 2.2 megs.  Absolutely
amazing.

Buy em' all.

-mike

disclaimer: i'm not affiliated with the product other than as a maniacal
supporter and absolute fan.

danno@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Your host... Dieter) (10/13/89)

In article <UZBDqyy00Uh_A2MYcu@andrew.cmu.edu> mr2t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Tod Rose) writes:

>Jeff --
>
>   ...nice words about Font Harmonizer deleted...
>
>The package also includes Suitcase II, the absolute king of System
>                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>resource handlers, and Font/Sound Valet, a handy compression utility
>that reduced 4 megs of screen fonts down to 2.2 megs.  Absolutely
>amazing.
>
>Buy em' all.
>
>-mike
>
>disclaimer: i'm not affiliated with the product other than as a maniacal
>supporter and absolute fan.

But... does it assign SNDs to to events as MasterJuggler will? I've heard
great things about SuitII, but I've been very happy with F/DA Juggler Plus,
and I'm thinking of upgrading to MasterJuggler. I lean to Master over SuitII
because of this (this way, I can use SNDs instead of the files SoundMaster
forces you to; maybe SoundMaster 3.0 is now stable enough to convince me
to give it another try. Opinions, anyone? Like I need to ask for opinions
around here :-)

I can hear groans now-- "Another Suitcase/Juggler debate..."

--
|\_______/| Someone send me a new Tragedy mask graphic!|  Daniel McKinnon
|         |                                            |
| O     O | Comedy must be played with a straight face;| danno@dartmouth.edu
|    \    | Only tragedy deserves laughter.            |

Adam.Frix@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (10/14/89)

Daniel McKinnon writes:

> > [remarks about Suitcase II being the king of system resource handlers
> > deleted]
>
> But... does it assign SNDs to to events as MasterJuggler will?......I
> can hear groans now-- "Another Suitcase/Juggler debate..."

I looked at MasterJuggler, even tried it out.  For some reason I never
fathomed, it kept bombing on opening the third suitcase file.  I
specifically wanted it for the ability to assign sounds to functions.
Also, when I saw a friend of mine working it, using it, it looked pretty
neat.  But I couldn't get around this bomb problem.  So, I just chucked it
and went back to Suitcase II, what I had been using very successfully
before and since.  It's all what you know, I guess.  But you're right--I
don't think there's a "king" of resource handlers, they're both EXCELLENT
pieces of software, it's what they DO that's kingly.  Apple should have
built such functions into its system software.

Then again, maybe not........look at MacroMaker.......hmmm, I bet we got a
better deal with Juggler/Suitcase after all.....

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200!Adam.Frix