[comp.sys.mac] Do screen-savers do anything useful? Danno says: YES!

danno@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Your host... Dieter) (10/10/89)

In article <742@sys.uea.ac.uk> jrk@uea-sys.UUCP (Richard Kennaway) writes:
>A contentious subject line to grab people's attention!  But first, a
>
>  ...request deleted...
>
>Well, do screen-savers like FadeToBlack, Moire, Blackout, Flex, etc. do
>anything useful?  They are supposed to prevent the image being
>"burnt-in" to the screen by blanking the screen after n minutes of
>inactivity.  However, for two or three years I had a Mac+ in my office,
>running about 8 hours a day, and although I tried out umpteen
>screen-savers, for most of that time I didnt use one.  There was never
>any sign of burn-in.  A few weeks ago the + was changed for a II, with a
>colour screen.  Are colour screens more susceptible to burn-in?
>
>--
>Richard Kennaway          SYS, University of East Anglia, Norwich, U.K.
>Janet:  kennaway@sys.uea.ac.uk		uucp:  ...mcvax!ukc!uea-sys!jrk

I can't speak for color screens, but I always had my doubts about the
burn-in problem as well. That is, until I helped install 40 new Mac Pluses
in the computer center here this summer ("Kiewit Computation Center-- It's
not just a job, it's a bomb shelter.")

They were replacing 512KEs w/ 1 Meg Dove Boards, and most had been 128Ks to
begin with. And yes, many had ghosts of the desktop. This seems to be due to
students just ejecting their disks and walking away; we Student Assistants are
vigilant, but we can't catch everything.So... save your screen!

I have a question of my own: a friend claims the new Moire, which activates
on shutdown now, does not park the heads on his hard drive on the shutdown.
Does it allow the full shutdown procedure to take place? (Is there any way I
can tell if my internal 80 Meg is getting parked?)

And isn't After Dark's "Can of Worms" an attractive screen saver?

Ciao,
Danno

--
|\_______/| Someone send me a new Tragedy mask graphic!|  Daniel McKinnon
|         |                                            |
| O     O | Comedy must be played with a straight face;| danno@dartmouth.edu
|    \    | Only tragedy deserves laughter.            |

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (10/12/89)

In article <16010@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> danno@dartmouth.edu (Your host... Dieter) writes:
>They were replacing 512KEs w/ 1 Meg Dove Boards, and most had been 128Ks to
>begin with. And yes, many had ghosts of the desktop. This seems to be due to
>students just ejecting their disks and walking away; we Student Assistants are
>vigilant, but we can't catch everything.So... save your screen!

  Agreed. My old 512KE (with Dove upgrade) has a permanent menu bar now,
with the Apple, File, and Edit menus clearly visible on the screen WHEN
THE MACHINE IS OFF! It may take quite a few hours, but it definitely can
and will happen!

>I have a question of my own: a friend claims the new Moire, which activates
>on shutdown now, does not park the heads on his hard drive on the shutdown.

  I've tried the new Moire (3.0), and quickly discovered that if it activates
during a downloading session, the download stops. Moire 2.22 didn't do this;
serial port communication always 'took precedence', and Moire would draw its
patterns very slowly or not at all, rather than interrupt the current process.
I didn't notice anything in the Moire 3 documentation that might account for
this change (perhaps John can comment?) As for hard disk head-parking, it
depends very much on the type of drive & driver software. Does the driver
normally auto-park the heads, or is your friend using an INIT like SCSI Parker?

>And isn't After Dark's "Can of Worms" an attractive screen saver?

  Personally, I like 'Rain'. :-)
--
==========     .......     =============================================
Ken McLeod    :.     .:    UUCP: ...{spsd,zardoz,felix}!dhw68k!thecloud

pwp@shamash.cdc.com ( HOUFAC) (10/13/89)

In article <27036@dhw68k.cts.com> thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) writes:
>  I've tried the new Moire (3.0), and quickly discovered that if it activates
>during a downloading session, the download stops. Moire 2.22 didn't do this;
>serial port communication always 'took precedence', and Moire would draw its
>patterns very slowly or not at all, rather than interrupt the current process.
>I didn't notice anything in the Moire 3 documentation that might account for
>this change (perhaps John can comment?) [...]

I too have had trouble with version 3.0 of Moire.  It causes random crashes
when the "Desktop/VE",the communications program I use.  (Desktop/VE provides
a Mac-style interface to Control Data mainframes.)  2.22 works fine.

Dimmer here I come.

--Pete Poorman   pwp@shamash.cdc.com

rang@cs.wisc.edu (Anton Rang) (10/13/89)

In article <27036@dhw68k.cts.com> thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) writes:
>  I've tried the new Moire (3.0), and quickly discovered that if it activates
>during a downloading session, the download stops. Moire 2.22 didn't do this;

  It works all right for me (using VersaTerm, version 3 I think).
Patterns get drawn very slowly, and the download seems to run at full
speed....

		Anton

| Anton Rang (grad student)        | rang@cs.wisc.edu |
| University of Wisconsin--Madison |                  |

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (10/14/89)

You would have to look real hard to find an 80 meg disk that does
not park the heads by itself when power is removed.

						Tim Smith