[comp.sys.mac] Undeleteable Folder- a possible reason

psych@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (R.Crispin - Psychology) (10/11/89)

I had a problem deleteing a folder today. I was trashing a folder that
contained many folders and files. One of the folders would not trash
even though all the files inside were gone. It was the last thing that
I was using the day yesterday. I decided to use DeskZap to see if there
was an invisible open file. It opened up inside the folder. Once I closed
it, I could delete it. It seems under Multifinder that the last folder
you use with DeskZap does not get closed properly when DeskZap if the DA
Handler is closed instead of Quitting from DeskZap. I was using DeskZap
1.2. Does any one know of a more recent version or a fix. I am using and
SE/30 with 5meg, 40 meg HD, System 6.0.4.

Reply to one of the addresses below unless you think the net would like
what you have to say..

Richard Crispin
Dept. of Psychology             Bitnet: psych@watdcs
University of Waterloo          Unix  : psych@watdcsu.UWaterloo.ca
Waterloo, Ont.   Canada   N2L 3G1
(519)885-1211 ext 2879

Adam.Frix@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (10/13/89)

Richard Crispin writes:

> I had a problem deleteing a folder today. I was trashing a
> folder that contained many folders and files. One of the
> folders would not trash even though all the files inside
> were gone.

There was some discussion of this not too long ago here, and someone came
up with a suggestion I hadn't thought of:  if you have DiskTop, use that
to delete the folder.  (If you don't have DiskTop, get it.  :))  There was
some perfectly reasonable technical explanation for why DT can delete
folders the Finder won't, but I don't remember what that was.  Can anyone
re-explain?

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200!Adam.Frix

Bruce.Gerson@f823.n102.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Bruce Gerson) (10/14/89)

It hasn't been my experience that DiskTop will delete folders which the
Finder cannot.  If the Finder alerts you that the folder cannot be deleted
because it contained files which were busy or locked, then DiskTop won't
delete them either.  A way around this is to use the DeskZap DA to close
the open file(s) in the folder in question (usually an open file IS the
problem here).  The Finder still may not let you delete the folder but you
WILL be able to delete the file(s).  Once you run your next application
and quit back to the Finder (or use DiskTop from within the application),
you will be able to delete that pesky folder.

--
Bruce Gerson via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!102!823!Bruce.Gerson