[comp.sys.mac] Font Name question

crist@unc.cs.unc.edu (David Crist) (10/10/89)

I hope that this isn't a simple question, but i noticed the other day while
reading something (I can't remember what it was I was reading now) and it
occurred to me that all of the ImageWriter fonts (or bit-mapped fonts) were
named after Cities [i.e. Chicago, New York, Boston, Los Angeles, etc] and that
the Laser fonts were named after a style [Times, New Century SchoolBook,
Palentino]

I guess that I am just curious, but is this the naming standard?

Thanks,

David Crist
P.S. Please E-Mail as I am sure that no one else is interested in this thread

crist@cs.unc.edu

casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) (10/11/89)

In article <9893@thorin.cs.unc.edu> crist@unc.cs.unc.edu (David Crist)
writes:
> it
> occurred to me that all of the ImageWriter fonts (or bit-mapped fonts)
were
> named after Cities [i.e. Chicago, New York, Boston, Los Angeles, etc]
and that
> the Laser fonts were named after a style [Times, New Century SchoolBook,
> Palentino]

The LaserWriter fonts are all implementations of well-known type designs;
they aren't actually "named after" them, they ARE them.

The original Macintosh fonts included Geneva, which was supposed to "look
like" Helvetica, and New York, which was supposed to "look like" Times
Roman.

The name Geneva comes from the fact that "Helvetica" means Swiss, and New
York comes from the fact that Times Roman was originally developed for the
New York Times.

Once these two fonts had city-names, it was natural to name the others
after other cities.  But there are many other bitmap fonts for the Mac
that don't have city-names.

David Casseres

Exclaimer:  Hey!

mr2t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Tod Rose) (10/11/89)

(@nitpick
I may be wrong, but wasn't Times Roman originally developed for the
*London* Times, not the New York Times?
@endnitpick)

-mike
disclaimer:  all I know about fhohstcrippt is how it's spelled.

casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) (10/11/89)

In article <gZAaEMq00WBL42KHdj@andrew.cmu.edu> mr2t+@andrew.cmu.edu
(Michael Tod Rose) writes:
> I may be wrong, but wasn't Times Roman originally developed for the
> *London* Times, not the New York Times?

Hm... maybe I wrote with brain disengaged.  I'll have to check it out now.

David Casseres

Exclaimer:  Hey!

fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (10/12/89)

In article <4622@internal.Apple.COM>, casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) writes:
> In article <9893@thorin.cs.unc.edu> crist@unc.cs.unc.edu (David Crist)
> writes:
> > occurred to me that all of the ImageWriter fonts (or bit-mapped fonts) were
> > named after Cities [i.e. Chicago, New York, Boston, Los Angeles, etc]
> and that the Laser fonts were named after a style [Times, New Century SchoolBook,
>
> The LaserWriter fonts are all implementations of well-known type designs;
> they aren't actually "named after" them, they ARE them.
>
> The original Macintosh fonts included Geneva, which was supposed to "look
> like" Helvetica, and New York, which was supposed to "look like" Times
> Roman.
>
> The name Geneva comes from the fact that "Helvetica" means Swiss, and New
> York comes from the fact that Times Roman was originally developed for the
> New York Times.

(Hi Dave!)

Wasn't Times Roman originally developed for the London Times?  (At least
for a British "Times" newspaper back in the '30s.)

------------
"...I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by
reorganizing: and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion
of progress, while producing confusion, inefficiency and demoralization."
	- Petronius Arbiter, 210 B.C.

casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) (10/13/89)

In article <126152@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix)
writes:
> Wasn't Times Roman originally developed for the London Times?  (At least
> for a British "Times" newspaper back in the '30s.)

(Hi Steve!)

Yes.  Many people have now corrected me, and I apologize for posting wrong
info (fortunately not too harmful).  To quote the Adobe type catalog,
"First drawn under the direction of Stanley Morison in 1931 as a newspaper
type for "The Times" of London, Times Roman has become the second most
popular typeface in the world..."

David Casseres

Exclaimer:  Hey!

meuchen@grad2.cis.upenn.edu (Paul Eric Menchen (meuchen@grad1.cis.upenn.edu)) (10/14/89)

This message is empty.

wasilko@netcom.UUCP (Jeff Wasilko) (10/14/89)

In article <4622@internal.Apple.COM> casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) writes:
>The LaserWriter fonts are all implementations of well-known type designs;
>they aren't actually "named after" them, they ARE them.
>
>The original Macintosh fonts included Geneva, which was supposed to "look
>like" Helvetica, and New York, which was supposed to "look like" Times
>Roman.
>
>The name Geneva comes from the fact that "Helvetica" means Swiss, and New
>York comes from the fact that Times Roman was originally developed for the
>New York Times.
>
>Once these two fonts had city-names, it was natural to name the others
>after other cities.  But there are many other bitmap fonts for the Mac
>that don't have city-names.
>
>David Casseres
>
>Exclaimer:  Hey!

Times Roman was *not* develeoped for The New York Times, but for The Times
(of London). Times was designed by Stanely Morrison and was first used in the
Times in 1932. Morrison worked as a typographical adivsor to the Monotype
Corporation.

I also don't follow the logic of Helvetica=Swiss=Geneva.

Helevetica was orginally designed by Linotype (if I remeber correctly). Swiss
is Bitstream's implementation of the design. It is also known as Helios or
Triumvirate.

Times Roman is also known as English, English Times, Times New Roman.

Jeff Wasilko
Information International (Manufacturers of Newspaper Pagination Systems and
wasilko@netcom.uucp           High resolution typesetters)

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (10/14/89)

Ok, what's the most popular font?

						Tim Smith

mr2t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Tod Rose) (10/15/89)

The most popular typeface (trying to limit confusion) in the
English-speaking world is probably Helvetica (yech) in sans serif and
probably Times Roman (double-yech) in serif.  There is a reason why
these fonts are built into every Adobe Postscript interpreter.

@blowtorch
Unfortunately, the fact that every LaserWriter has these fonts has made
them twice as popular and ubiquitous.  They've reached the saturation
point and they are now extremely annoying to look at; they're boring.
@blowtorch off

Personally, I have a couple of favorites -- I'm very fond of Adobe's new
Stempel Garamond face, and I'm looking forward to the other new
Garamonds on the way.  I like Microgramma for display stuff (so I'm a
Trekkie, sue me), and I hope Linotype Centennial is as good as has been
promised.

-mike "i'm not a typography snob, but i play one on tv" rose