[comp.sys.mac] Automated Mac network backup

laver@siodo.UCSD.EDU (Mick Laver) (10/11/89)

Seems like someone must have come up against this one ...

I have several Macs on a Tops network that I'd like to backup nightly.
Incrementals would be nice, but working folders on all machines is
fine. Right now I'm using the software that came with the tape unit
(Crate 60; Teac ddc) and MacroMaker to semi-automate the process, but
I'd like to make it truly mindless so all I have to remember is to swap
tapes in the morning.

Is there a maccrontab of sorts to run an application at a preset time,
or is there a commercial product designed for unattended network
backup?  The latter would have to have a driver for the Teac drive.

	Mick Laver
	mlaver@ucsd

dorourke@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (David M. O'Rourke) (10/11/89)

laver@siodo.UCSD.EDU (Mick Laver) writes:
> [asked about automated backups & tops]

  You might want to look into FastBack II, it has drivers for lots of tape
drives, and the ability to schedule macro's for execution at certain times.

  It might do what you want, it's pretty fast, and the macro language appears
pretty good.

  Hope this helps.
--
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|/////////////////////////////////////////
David M. O'Rourke____________________|_____________dorourke@polyslo.calpoly.edu

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (10/13/89)

In article <324@siodo.UCSD.EDU> laver@siodo.UCSD.EDU (Mick Laver) writes:

>Is there a maccrontab of sorts to run an application at a preset time,
>or is there a commercial product designed for unattended network
>backup?  The latter would have to have a driver for the Teac drive.

	I use Retrospect at home and at work, and I love it to pieces.
At home, I back up to DC-2000 cartridges, and at work, I have it configured
to back up our AppleShare server to Teac CT-600 cartridges automatically,
every night at midnight. It works like a charm.

	IMHO, Retrospect is the finest backup program I have ever seen.
Occasionally, I wish that it did true incremental backups; once in a while
I backup my entire disk, and I keep a running archive of documents only,
so that I can keep old versions.

	This is not a review, nor do I have any affiliation with Dantz
Development. I'm merely an extremely satisfied customer.

>	Mick Laver
>	mlaver@ucsd

R.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Rich Siegel
 Staff Software Developer
 Symantec Corporation, Language Products Group
 Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
 UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel

"There is no personal problem which cannot be solved by sufficient
application of high explosives."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

dantz@cdp.UUCP (10/14/89)

Mick,

Retrospect from Dantz Development will allow for timed, unattended
backup of TOPS volumes over the network and it supports TEAC
drives. It also has extensive file selection, so you can determine
which files you want to back up. If you are interested I could
send you more information in the mail.

Walt Hays                  /  CIS:        73367,2416
Technical Support          /  Connect:    dantz
Dantz Development Corp.    /  AppleLink:  D0011
415/849-0293               / Internet: ...pyramid!cdp!dantz

drew@cup.portal.com (Andrew E Wade) (10/15/89)

NetStream, by PCPC.  New, so no people with long experience (and it's nice
to be double safe with backups!) and not cheap.  I've not used it, only read
about it.  It's the only one I know of that allows net administrator to back
up all macs and to fully automate it.

Fastback II (which I recently bought) doesn't do what you want, but comes seco
closest.  You must run it on the machine with the hd to back up that hd.  It
hthat the application be running for the scheduled macro to run; i.e., you
would have to tell everyone (or assign one person) to start fastback running
on all the macs at the end of the day, say, and then the scheduled macro
would run.  Also, fastback doesn't have truly incremental backup (like, say,
redux); i.e., it will not overwrite backed up files, but always adds to the
backup volume.  For tape, maybe that's what you want. I backup to server disk
(which is dumped to tape by unix tar) and it's not what I want.  But close.