[comp.sys.mac] Where do I get BinHex 4.0 ???

a600@mindlink.UUCP (Dave McClean) (10/10/89)

If you have Stuffit 1.5.1, just use the "decode Binhex file" option under the
'Other' menu item.  If you don't have it, Binhex4.0 should be available from
just about any BBS or user's group.  As a last resort Email me your postal
address, and I'll send you a copy.

GWMOOR01@ULKYVX.BITNET (10/11/89)

Does anyone know where I can get BinHex 4.0.  Everyone that I ask has no
knowledge on the Mac.  Your help will be greatly appreciated.

                 Thanks in advance,
                                    Greg

zebolskyd@yvax.byu.edu (10/14/89)

In <8910102155.AA25150@jade.berkeley.edu>, Greg asks where to get a
copy of Binhex 4.0. I thought to myself, "Self, why not just EMail the
chap a copy of it? Of course, you'll have to use StuffIt to compress it
and convert it to BinHex format, then when he gets it he can....." Rats.

I suppose you will have to get a copy of it from a local Mac BBS. You will
probably want to use StuffIt 1.5, since most of the files are also compressed
(or "stuffed") to reduce disk space and transmission time. If you can't
find a copy of this ShareWare program, mail me a disk and I will mail it
back with a copy of the program. You will then owe Raymand Lau something
like $15.

--Lyle D. Gunderson  zebolskyd@yvax.byu.edu     350 CB / BYU
                                                Provo, UT 84602

jg13@umd5.umd.edu (Allon Stern) (10/16/89)

In article <851zebolskyd@yvax.byu.edu> zebolskyd@yvax.byu.edu writes:
>In <8910102155.AA25150@jade.berkeley.edu>, Greg asks where to get a
>copy of Binhex 4.0. I thought to myself, "Self, why not just EMail the
>chap a copy of it? Of course, you'll have to use StuffIt to compress it
>and convert it to BinHex format, then when he gets it he can....." Rats.

I have found that if you stuff a file with StuffIt (which puts all the info
into the data fork), then FTP the file (I've tried this only with a VMS
machine), then FTP the file back and unStuffIt, it works just fine.
You DO get a warning from StuffIT that the file header (or some such nonsense)
is screwed up, but it still manages to extract the file properly.  I guess this
is not an entirely reliable method to do it, but for sending BINHEX to someone
so you can do things properly.....

                               - -= Allon =- -

   This is a test of the emergency signature system.  Were this an actual
   signature, you would see amusing mottos, disclaimers, a zillion net
   addresses, or edifying philisophical statements.  This is only a test.