[comp.sys.mac] Why Can't I Get Backgorund Printing?

scallon@cod.NOSC.MIL (Matthew C. Scallon) (10/12/89)

I apologize in advance for asking a question someone else has asked and has
had answered.  I try to read everything, but with 100 articles a day in this
comp.sys.mac alone, it's very difficult to pay attention to anything.

I just received a IIcx.  Since I have 4M, I'm trying MuliFinder and Back-
ground Printing for the first time.  I tried installing the system from the
complimentary system disk from Apple, but after it finishes what I think is
installation on my internal hard disk, the disk cr*ps out.  That's not much
of a problem, other than the fact that I have no backup system, but also I
can't seem to do background printing.

The system is 6.0.3.  Laserwriter version is 5.2.  If someone could help me,
I'd appreciate it.  I could live without background printing, but I'd rather
live with it.

Thanks in advance,

Mathiew C.A. Scallon
scallon@cod.nosc.mil

han@Apple.COM (Byron Han) (10/16/89)

In article <1665@cod.NOSC.MIL> scallon@cod.NOSC.MIL (Matthew C. Scallon) writes:
>I just received a IIcx.  Since I have 4M, I'm trying MuliFinder and Back-
>ground Printing for the first time.  I tried installing the system from the
>complimentary system disk from Apple, but after it finishes what I think is
>installation on my internal hard disk, the disk cr*ps out.  That's not much
>of a problem, other than the fact that I have no backup system, but also I
>can't seem to do background printing.
>
>The system is 6.0.3.  Laserwriter version is 5.2.  If someone could help me,
>I'd appreciate it.  I could live without background printing, but I'd rather
>live with it.

A couple of things - Background Printing only works under MultiFinder.
You need to make sure that you have the files Backgrounder and PrintMonitor
in your System Folder.  The best way to assure this is to install your
printing resources via the Installer instead of dragging the files from the
printing 1 disk to your system folder.

When you say the disk "cr*ps" out - can you be a bit more specific?

Hope this helps...

| Disclaimer: Apple has no connection with my postings.                       |
Byron Han, CommToolbox Scapegoat      "How about *S-2 Overextended Edition?"
20525 Mariani Ave, MS27Y              Internet: han@apple.COM
Cupertino, CA 95014                   UUCP:{sun,voder,nsc,decwrl}!apple!han
------------------------------------  GENIE:BYRONHAN   CompuServe:72167,1664
ATTnet: 408-974-6450                  Applelink:HAN1   HAN1@applelink.apple.COM