[comp.sys.mac] Boomerang 2.0B8 problem ...

mberline@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Marty Berliner) (10/16/89)

Hello there ...

   Among all the nice enhancements in Boomerang 2.0B8, the one which pleased
me the most was the option of keeping the CODE resource in memory at all
times (so that any SF dialog box would appear quickly, without all the
time spent in Boomerang loading all its code).
   The problem is that it seems that this feature does not work with my
system setup (Plus, 6.0.4, 2.5M, various inits & cdev's).  Anyone else
experience this problem?

Marty

dpaight@HP-UX.ucsd.edu (Dan Paight) (10/16/89)

In article <2472@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> mberline@jarthur.UUCP (Marty Berliner) writes:
>Hello there ...
>
>   Among all the nice enhancements in Boomerang 2.0B8, the one which pleased
>me the most was the option of keeping the CODE resource in memory at all
>times (so that any SF dialog box would appear quickly, without all the
>time spent in Boomerang loading all its code).
>   The problem is that it seems that this feature does not work with my
>system setup (Plus, 6.0.4, 2.5M, various inits & cdev's).  Anyone else
>experience this problem?
>
>Marty

I'm using Boomerang 2.0b8 also. I also am running  it on a Plus,
6.0.3, 2.5M, etc. The 'keep code in system heap' feature seems to
work fine on my system (and I've checked).

dp

p.s., Don't you just love Boomerang?  Don't know what I'd do without
it.

>I'm using Boomerang 2.0b8 also. I also am running  it on a Plus,
>6.0.3, 2.5M, etc. The 'keep code in system heap' feature seems to
>work fine on my system (and I've checked).

Same here. maybe your copy is corrupted? (Or something else?) I've noticed
earlier versions of Boomerang occasionally committed suicide occasionally.
It hasn't happened to me under B8, but...

The only problem I've found with B8 is that Boomerang and OnCue 1.3 don't
like each other if you attempt to use Boomerang in the OnCue "Configure"
dialog. The answer, of course, is to not do it...

>p.s., Don't you just love Boomerang?  Don't know what I'd do without
>it.

Yeah. The more I work with it, the more I really appreciate it. I used to
use sfscrollinit and sfvol to do parts of what boomerang does, but I don't
miss them...

--

Chuq Von Rospach <+> Editor,OtherRealms <+> Member SFWA/ASFA
chuq@apple.com <+> CI$: 73317,635 <+> [This is myself speaking]

Anyone who thinks that the argument over {sci,rec}.fishies is about
group names doesn't understand the system.

gersh@aplvax.jhuapl.edu (John R. Gersh) (10/16/89)

In article <35688@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:

>Same here. maybe your copy is corrupted? (Or something else?) I've noticed
>earlier versions of Boomerang occasionally committed suicide occasionally.
>It hasn't happened to me under B8, but...

One problem that I've noticed with B8 is that the Boomerang Prefs file
has a tendency to become corrupted on system crashes. After a crash
of any kind, Boomerang often fails to function (icon missing from SF
dialog, sometimes fixable by choosing Boomerang in Control Panel)
or causes the system to hang when accessed. Replacing the Boomerang
Prefs file with a fresh copy restores normal operation. (Mac II, 5
Meg, 6.0.2, Multifinder, scads of inits.)

>Yeah. The more I work with it, the more I really appreciate it. I used to
>use sfscrollinit and sfvol to do parts of what boomerang does, but I don't
>miss them...

Me, too.

						- John Gersh

gersh@aplvax.jhuapl.edu 	{backbone!}mimsy!aplcen!aplcomm!gersh
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
Johns Hopkins Rd., Laurel, MD 20707		       (301) 953-5503

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (10/17/89)

In article <2009@network.ucsd.edu> dpaight@weber.UUCP (Dan Paight) writes:
>In article <2472@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> mberline@jarthur.UUCP (Marty Berliner) writes:
>>Hello there ...
>>
>>   Among all the nice enhancements in Boomerang 2.0B8, the one which pleased
>>me the most was the option of keeping the CODE resource in memory at all
>>times (so that any SF dialog box would appear quickly, without all the
>>time spent in Boomerang loading all its code).
>>   The problem is that it seems that this feature does not work with my
>>system setup (Plus, 6.0.4, 2.5M, various inits & cdev's).  Anyone else
                      ^^^^^
>>experience this problem?
>>
>>Marty

>p.s., Don't you just love Boomerang?  Don't know what I'd do without
>it.

Um, this may not be the cause of your problem, but why are you running 6.0.4?
I thought it was exclusively for the Portable and the IIci.

Also, yes, I absolutely love Boomerang.  I find that, even with the CODE on the
heap, it still slows down the dialogs somewhat.  To such an extent, in fact,
that I have trouble with Quick B Download, which times out while waiting for
its SF dialog to come up.  Also, because Boomerang has trouble excluding DA's
that aren't installed globally, I had to install Quick B (which usually only
resides in Microphone) in the System, exclude it, then remove it again.  This
did work, though.

--Mike

Disclaimer: I think that disclaimers are an incredibly sad statement about our
society.  Nonetheless, nothing that I say can or should be construed as having
been said by anyone.  Ever.

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (10/17/89)

In article <2472@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> Marty Berliner writes:

>    Among all the nice enhancements in Boomerang 2.0B8, the one which pleased
> me the most was the option of keeping the CODE resource in memory at all
> times (so that any SF dialog box would appear quickly, without all the
> time spent in Boomerang loading all its code).
>    The problem is that it seems that this feature does not work with my
> system setup (Plus, 6.0.4, 2.5M, various inits & cdev's).  Anyone else
> experience this problem?

Are you sure that the delay is due to CODE-loading?

If you open the Control Panel, select Boomerang, and click on the
Preferences button, you'll see a whole bunch of option-checkboxes.  One
of these is labelled "Remove Unknown when SF Dialog is opened".  If this
box is checked, Boomerang will search through its cached lists of
folders and files and will delete from the lists any folders or files
that have been deleted or are on unmounted disks.

This can take several seconds... quite a bit of disk activity occurs.
If you find Boomerang unacceptably slow to open, try turning this option
off... it may speed up the SF dialog process somewhat.

--
Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,apple,uunet}!coherent!dplatt   DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com