[comp.sys.mac] Printing Envelopes and Mailings

clye@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Christopher Lye) (10/09/89)

I've come into a situation where I need the services of a good program
that will help me print out addresse on envelopes. I would prefer a
program that can print both directly onto envelopes and ones that can
also print on labels.

The addresses would be loaded in from a database file so the program
must be a able read lots of names and addresses from a database.

Price is also an issue here. I would prefer not to have to pay over
$150. The average workload would be about 50 a week.

Please E-mail or post if you have an recommendations.

Thanks,

Chris Lye

siegman@sierra.Stanford.EDU (Anthony E. Siegman) (10/10/89)

This reply isn't directly responsive to the original poster's need for
bulk-mail envelope addressing software; but I'll nonetheless take the
opportunity to put on record that the KiwiEnvelopes! 3 DA (Kiwi
Software, 805-685-4031) is an absolutely superb small tool for quick
and easy envelope addressing whenever you're writing a letter or just
need to quickly address an envelope or two right on the spot.

One of the neat features of this DA is that you can tell it to
remember mailing addresses that you frequently use, and they'll be
available for instant use in a little list accessed by a pull-down
menu right within the DA.  I couldn't recommend it more strongly.

--AES  (No connection other than a very satisfied user.)

shulman@sdr.slb.com (Jeff Shulman) (10/10/89)

siegman@sierra.Stanford.EDU (Anthony E. Siegman) writes:

>...I'll nonetheless take the
>opportunity to put on record that the KiwiEnvelopes! 3 DA (Kiwi
>Software, 805-685-4031) is an absolutely superb small tool...

I'd like to rebut that statement.  I too bought KiwiEnvelopes! 3.0 to
do my envelopes.  As a developer using MPW I am also using MultiFinder
6.1b7.  It seems KiwiEnvelopes is NOT compatible with this version in
2 respects: 1) Their registration dialog causes the Mac to crash; and 2)
the Preview feature will also crash the Mac.

What really got me upset is that they *are* aware of this fact but they have
NO intention of fixing it until the "release" MultiFinder.  I find this
attitude deplorable in a software vendor!  *I* have had NO problems with
all other software running MF 6.1b7.  If any of *my* software did not run
with MF 6.1b7 I would *immediately* investigate the situation to see if it
was my problem or a bug in the beta software.  Kiwi didn't even want to
investigate that it just *may* be *their* problem!  Their whole attitude
turned me completely off!

KiwiEnvelopes! 3 seems to also "lose" its registration number on a fairly
regular basis necessitating running regular Finder to reinstall it.  *This*
is the problem that finally drove me to find alternatives.

I just bought MacEnvelopes which (although an app, not a DA) seems to work
just fine and has much more mailing list and envelope/label support (i.e.
it will print sheet labels and both label and envelope sizes are customizable)
than Kiwi does.  There is absolutely no copy protection/registration number
either.

                                                        Jeff

As usual, these are my personal opinions.

--
uucp:      ...rutgers!yale!slb-sdr!shulman
CSNet:     SHULMAN@SDR.SLB.COM

ebm@ibmarc.uucp (Eli Messinger) (10/17/89)

I'm using EasyEnvelopes+ by Andrew Welch of Mark 3 Software.  It's shareware
and available on many different BBSs.  The fee is $15, and should be sent to:

	Mark 3 Software
	29 Grey Rocks Road
	Wilton, CT  06897

EE+ allows you to easily turn on/off the return and to addresses.  The return
address can be either simple text or something from the Clipboard.  You can
select font and size (though not attributes such as Italics or Bold).

It stores up to 99 addresses, but I don't know if the format is the same as
that used by other utilities.  For me it's not a problem, since I don't keep
my full address file on the Mac.

... ebm
--
 "The real test of an artist, of course, is not whether you can see each blade
 of grass, but whether the eyes follow you across the room."   --Stewart Evans

  CSNET: ebm@ibm.com / UUCP: ...!uunet!ibmarc!ebm / BITNET: ebm@almvma.bitnet