[comp.sys.mac] Adobe ATM

ggiergiel@vmsa.oac.uci.edu (10/06/89)

Three questions regarding ATM

a) How do you generate character $F0 ?
b) is vector encoding 'hard-wired' into ATM or will it read current
   definition of MACVECTOR from LaserPrep or FOND resource.
c) Can one get bitmaps for unencoded characters.

and a general one

a) who is responsible for screwing up character dotaccent in Palatino
   family.

Jerzy Giergiel, UCI, Physics

bezanson@adobe.COM (Brian Bezanson) (10/07/89)

In article <3326@orion.cf.uci.edu> ggiergiel@vmsa.oac.uci.edu writes:
>Three questions regarding ATM
>
>a) How do you generate character $F0 ?
I'm not sure entirely what you mean. $F0 is the 'Apple' character available
via option-shift-k. It is built as an outline for the fonts that ship with
ATM and images smooth on the screen. Some applications will only deal with
this character only in the Symbol font. Also, this character was originally
only in Apple PostScript printers because we created it for them/their
copyrighted/trademarked/registered? logo. I'm not positive if it's available
on the non-Apple PostScript printers. To repeat, in ATM the Apple and other
encoded characters appear 'smooth' at any size/resolution and should print that
way. If you need further information, let me know.

>b) is vector encoding 'hard-wired' into ATM or will it read current
>   definition of MACVECTOR from LaserPrep or FOND resource.
The encoding is 'hard-wired' from the FOND to the specific outline, i.e. the
FOND tells us via the style-links which outline to use and we go and get
the info ATM needs from the outline (a very general idea of what ATM does).

>c) Can one get bitmaps for unencoded characters.
Since ATM isn't a PostScript interpreter, it won't let you re-encode
characters like you can to a printer. So you can't use the unencoded
characters.

As a side note, you could use something like Smart Art to download code
to get a bitmap for enencoded characters.

>and a general one
>
>a) who is responsible for screwing up character dotaccent in Palatino
>   family.

The ATM Plus pack will have fixes for problems (like the dotaccent) that
were in some of the original fonts.

Hope that answers your questions.
--
Brian Bezanson                                          bezanson@adobe.com
Adobe Systems Incorporated           The opinions expressed above are my

ieee@smu.uucp (IEEE group account) (10/13/89)

I have a question about ATM.  Can you generate bitmap fonts and save them
as font resources?  That would be useful for sizes that are used frequently.
It's what FontSizer would do now.

Fred Hollander
Software Innovations, Inc.

bezanson@adobe.COM (Brian Bezanson) (10/17/89)

In article <15963@pollux.UUCP> ieee@smu.UUCP (IEEE group account) writes:
>I have a question about ATM.  Can you generate bitmap fonts and save them
>as font resources?  That would be useful for sizes that are used frequently.
>It's what FontSizer would do now.
>Fred Hollander
>Software Innovations, Inc.

ATM won't save them as bitmaps. This is because ATM will generate the font
you've requested on the fly. With FontSizer, you need a PostScript printer and
~20 minutes for each size you want - plus the disk space to save that size.
With ATM, you just ask for the size and get it - the entire hit is ~50K of
cache per face. If you use 15 point often, just ask for it. It will take
from .5 - 10 seconds (depending on machine) to load in the outline and
create the initial font, but once cached - speed isn't any different
from a prebuilt bitmap.

Unfortunately for the FontSizer people, ATM and System 7.0 remove the need for
the program. Hope this answers you're questions/clarifies things.