[comp.sys.mac] HP Deskwriter and SoftPC

regan@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Kenneth Regan) (10/17/89)

I have both SoftPC and the HP Deskwriter, and would like to know:

	(1) Is the DeskWriter capable of emulating an Epson FX 80 or 85
(in graphics mode), in such a way that one can drive it from an MS-DOS
application running under SoftPC?
	[The "Owner's Manual" gives no printer command reference.  My
application allows one to edit command strings freely, including the
command for initializing the printer.  My "raw" attempts (calling the Mac
printer port "COM2") yield pages full of white-on-black reverse apostrophes.]

	(2) I've been told about a new program (name? price=$499?) which
prints PostScript files on an ImageWriter or an HP LaserJet* (and others).
Does it also work with the DeskWriter?

	Generally, I'd be grateful for information on utilities for the
Deskwriter and on experience with SoftPC.  I've read this newsgroup back
to Sept. 19 but not before, and Mac(World+User) up to October.  I will
certainly summarize e-mailed replies for the net.

				Thanks in advance,	--Ken Regan

Kenneth W. Regan           			Assistant Professor
Computer Science Dept.				(Opinions not < SUNYaB)
SUNY at Buffalo, 226 Bell Hall			Tel.: (716) 636-3189, -3180
Buffalo,  NY  14260				regan@cs.buffalo.edu

macgyver@banana.cis.ohio-state.edu (wilson m liaw) (10/17/89)

In article <11896@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> regan@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Kenneth Regan) writes:
>	(1) Is the DeskWriter capable of emulating an Epson FX 80 or 85
>(in graphics mode), in such a way that one can drive it from an MS-DOS
>application running under SoftPC?

	DeskWriter is not capable of emulating Epson of any sort as far as
I know. I think you can't use it with SoftPC either. Because IBM PC
use printer in ASCII stream mode, which DeskWriter doesn't support.
That's why you can't print from RedRyder 10.3, MicroPhone to DeskWriter.
Because they also use ASCII stream mode.

-=-
Wilson Mac Liaw                           $  Two sure ways to tell a sexy male;
Internet   : macgyver@cis.ohio-state.edu  $  the first is, he has a bad memory.
CompuServe : 71310,1653                   $  I forget the second :)
GEnie : W.Liaw                            $