[comp.sys.mac] Cornerstone

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) (10/10/89)

Has anyone had experience with these full page displays?  How do they
look?  How do they work out?

What would an acceptable/good/great price be for them?

jas

Jeffrey A. Sullivan		| Senior Systems Programmer
jas@venera.isi.edu		| Information Sciences Institute
jas@isi.edu   DELPHI: JSULLIVAN	| University of Southern California

truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) (10/11/89)

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:

>Has anyone had experience with these full page displays?  How do they
>look?  How do they work out?

I don't know which phosphor they use and what their refresh rate is, but
I'm quite sure their resolution is 82 dpi, which places text at some
14% smaller that standard 72 to 75 dpi. I have a neighbor who I advised
against getting an E-Machines "two page display" whatever they call it
because of their 82 or more dpi and their slow refresh/high persistance
phosphor. He kept insisting that his dealer (<-- big mistake, listening
to dealer) told him it was the best on the market and worth the premium
he was charging for it. Now poor Brian is stuck with composing his text
14 points, then reducing it to 12 or 11 for formatting and printing.
And the slow refresh/long persistance phosphor drives him nuts. He is
selling it after 1.5 years for whatever he can get for it so he can
get an Apple Two Page display.

>What would an acceptable/good/great price be for them?

I think there is one at Priority 1 in Irvine for $299, card and monitor.
I think that's a pretty good indication of the quality right there.
Take your chances... you might get lucky.

CPU speed be damned, the most important part of a computer used for
"personal productivity", whatever that is, is the human interface,
e.g. the screen and the keyboard and mouse. With that in mind, you
couldn't pay me to work on a Mac Plus keyboard or an EGA or CGA display.

Remember, you (generally) get what you pay for.  :^O

Claimer:  I speak for everybody.

  --scott

--
Scott Truesdell

truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) (10/12/89)

In my preveous responce to Jeff Sullivan's questions on the
Cornerstone/ Sansung full page display, I referred vaguely to my
neighbor's less than satisfactory relationship with 'E-Machines "two
page display" whatever they call it'. I would like to clarify my
comments about this particular monitor.

The monitor I was referring to was (is?) called "The Big Picture" and
is model number 1008. It is several years old (though he bought it new).
It does have blurry high persistance phosphor and tiny tiny pixels.
While I rate the useability of THIS PARTICULAR MONITOR fairly low,
it is never-the-less a well made piece of equipement, having performed
without a hitch for several years.

E-Machine's newer monitors, in particular their Z21 IQ, seem to be
much a improved, quality product with better phosphor, software, etc.

The whole point in exposing what I thought was a not-so-good monitor
was to show that (a) the buyer should be a critical judge, and (b)
don't trust salepeople. I would even go so far as to not trust a
user of the product entirely. My neighbor was so jazzed to have a large
screen, that he praised his for a full year before he saw a nice crisp
SuperMac display and realized what he had been settling for.

Caveat Emptor.

  --scott

--
Scott Truesdell

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (10/17/89)

In article <1989Oct12.074252.15899@paris.ics.uci.edu> truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) writes:

<The monitor I was referring to was (is?) called "The Big Picture" and
<is model number 1008. It is several years old (though he bought it new).
<It does have blurry high persistance phosphor and tiny tiny pixels.
<While I rate the useability of THIS PARTICULAR MONITOR fairly low,
<it is never-the-less a well made piece of equipement, having performed
<without a hitch for several years.

The blurriness can be adjusted out to where it is only apparent on the
extreme edges. I was happy with this monitor too until I had to start using
10 point Times. With proper adjustment and any other font, it's not too
bad, and I have the SuperMac at home as a comparison.

I called E-Machines to see if there was any way to upgrade the video card
to support the Z-21. I hoped I could pass this monitor to someone else for
the price of an upgrade and new card for the other user. (We're not buying
Mac IIs anymore, so I can't just switch monitors.) The person I spoke with
was sympathetic with my eyestrain problems, but had no solution (other than
something ghastly like 2x magnification with Easy Access).

I have a neat cover for the small mac screen that both reduces glare and
magnifies a bit, but they must not be selling very well because you never
see any advertisements. I had hoped they would do well and come out with
a larger size for the E-Machines monitor. It includes a Fresnel lens. I
tried a large Fresnel lens from Edmund Scientific, but it doesn't work.

E-Machines seems to know that they goofed with the resolution on this
screen. But it sure beats not having any kind of a big monitor.

Shirley Kehr