[comp.sys.mac] Need info on Endnote

peter@aucs.uucp (Peter Steele) (09/28/89)

A prof here wants to set up a bibliography/references database and I've
suggested to him that he could either use a general purpose database such
as Reflex Plus or use a more specific product such as Pro-Cite or EndNote.
I've looked at Pro-Cite but have no information on Endnote at all. How does
it compare to Pro-Cite for managing bibliographies? Are there any other
products we should consider? Are there any articles I could refer to?
Any and all information would be appreciated. Thanks!

--
Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst
Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (10/02/89)

In article <1989Sep28.120353.19611@aucs.uucp> peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:
<A prof here wants to set up a bibliography/references database and I've
<suggested to him that he could either use a general purpose database such
<as Reflex Plus or use a more specific product such as Pro-Cite or EndNote.
<I've looked at Pro-Cite but have no information on Endnote at all. How does
<it compare to Pro-Cite for managing bibliographies? Are there any other
<products we should consider? Are there any articles I could refer to?
<Any and all information would be appreciated. Thanks!

There was a comparison of these two in (I believe) MacWorld. It was probably
6 to 9 months ago. It prompted me to get Pro-Cite because I was interested
in the more extensive search capabilities and printing directly from Pro-Cite.

Shirley Kehr

nilesinc@well.UUCP (Avi Rappoport) (10/03/89)

In article <1989Sep28.120353.19611@aucs.uucp> peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:
>A prof here wants to set up a bibliography/references database and I've
>suggested to him that he could either use a general purpose database such
>as Reflex Plus or use a more specific product such as Pro-Cite or EndNote.
>I've looked at Pro-Cite but have no information on Endnote at all. How does
>it compare to Pro-Cite for managing bibliographies? Are there any other
>products we should consider? Are there any articles I could refer to?
>Any and all information would be appreciated. Thanks!

  EndNote is oriented towards people writing papers, rather than librarians
keeping databases.  It works with Word 3 & 4, WriteNow, WordPerfect and MacWrite
(not MacWrite II, yet...).  EndNote has a DA which lets you add and edit
references and search the database without having to run MultiFinder.  The
program was written for the Mac and has a nice interface (according to our
customers).  The search function is pretty limited (Author/Year/Full Text)
but it DOES have boolean capability between searches, and it's *really* fast.
(According to BCS Mac's newsletter).

Articles on bibliographic databases:  Macuser, Feb '89, MacWorld, Feb '89,
and MacGuide, June '89.

  We have a nice catalog and a $5 demo disk: please send me mail if you
would like either or both.

DISCLAIMER:  I'm not at all disinterested, I do programming and tech.
support for EndNote.

-- Help me justify my online bills: ask me EndNote questions, please! --
Avi Rappoport                  		2000 Hearst, Berkeley, CA 94709
nilesinc@well.UUCP, Niles.Assoc on AppleLink	        415-655-6666

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (10/03/89)

	I havn't really used EndNote much myself, but I've played with it
and a few people here have it and seem to be happy.  Mostly we use the bib
preprocessor for troff on Unix machines for this type of stuff and we're
only starting to move to Macs for serious scientific word processing.

	So, with that out of the way, my impression of EndNote is very
entheusiastic.  It looks very easy to use, integrates well with Microsoft
Word, and has ways to import databases from other systems (namely bib and
BRS/Colleague).  It also looks very flexible.  If I had to guess, I would
say it was designed by somebody who got fed up with bib and wrote EndNote
to have all of bib's strengths and also to solve all of its shortcommings.

	The EndNote folks have a demo version available for $5 or $10.  I
would suggest getting a copy and playing with it for a while.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"

flowers@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Margot Flowers) (10/12/89)

><A prof here wants to set up a bibliography/references database and I've
><suggested to him that he could either use a general purpose database such
><as Reflex Plus or use a more specific product such as Pro-Cite or EndNote...

>There was a comparison of these two in (I believe) MacWorld. It was probably
>6 to 9 months ago. It prompted me to get Pro-Cite because I was interested
>in the more extensive search capabilities and printing directly from Pro-Cite.

About that long ago, in [MacUser|MacWorld], there was a review
(perhaps the same one) that was full of errors on feature comparisons.
At the time I already owned EndNote, and was astonished to read that
the boolean searches I was already doing could not be done, and that I
could not print out collection bibliographies.  I had reason to talk
to the people at the company, and the person I talked to said that he
didn't know why the review was so incorrect, because the author was a
friend of theirs.  At the time I posted some message about the lousy
utility and accuracy of many reviews.

Moral:  look at the products themselves before making any final
decision.

lsanner@dfmp1.UUCP (Lou Sanner M.D.) (10/16/89)

Does anyone use "Refer" or "BibIX" which are supposedly compatable with
EndNote?  We have a Unix system (AT&T 3B2-600 running Unix 5-release3) for
the departments central computer and a mixed group of Macintosh
and PC users that would like to access a common updatable article citation
database.  What we Mac users would like to do is download subsets of this
master file onto our Macs when we are writing articles and  use the
EndNote DA to incorporate the references.  The EndNote documentation says
it will import/export "Refer" and "BibIX" which are Unix products.  Does
anyone do this?  Has anyone tried to merge Medline/Medlars-format citations
from online searches into a Refer/BibIX database?  Are there MS-DOS front ends
to either of these Unix products?

bmartin@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Brian Martin) (10/16/89)

In article <113@dfmp1.UUCP> lsanner@dfmp1 (Lou Sanner M.D.) writes:
>Does anyone use "Refer" or "BibIX" which are supposedly compatable with
>EndNote?

Yes. I've transferred refer databases to endnote. There were a few problems,
though I don't remember what they were.

>Has anyone tried to merge Medline/Medlars-format citations
>from online searches into a Refer/BibIX database?
Yes. I wrote a sed script a while back. It was a fast hack, and required
you to list the citations using the "prt compr,ar,ad,mh" format else it
would choke. I also wrote a little c filter using lsc3.0 to do the same
on the mac, to get medline searches into endnote. Let me know if
you want either.

 -- Brian
====
    Brian K. Martin, M.D.
    John A. Burns School of Medicine

UUCP: {uunet,dcdwest,ucbvax}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!bmartin
INTERNET: bmartin@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

nilesinc@well.UUCP (Avi Rappoport) (10/19/89)

In article <113@dfmp1.UUCP> lsanner@dfmp1 (Lou Sanner M.D.) writes:
>Does anyone use "Refer" or "BibIX" which are supposedly compatable with
>EndNote?  We have a Unix system (AT&T 3B2-600 running Unix 5-release3) for
>the departments central computer and a mixed group of Macintosh
>and PC users that would like to access a common updatable article citation
>database.  What we Mac users would like to do is download subsets of this
>master file onto our Macs when we are writing articles and  use the
>EndNote DA to incorporate the references.  The EndNote documentation says
>it will import/export "Refer" and "BibIX" which are Unix products.  Does
>anyone do this?  Has anyone tried to merge Medline/Medlars-format citations
>from online searches into a Refer/BibIX database?  Are there MS-DOS front ends
>to either of these Unix products?

1) People at Berkeley run Refer (that's why we put it in :) )

2) We also have a product called EndLink which automatically imports capture
files from online databases (mostly Medline) when they are in the tag format.
It's $99 and *much* better than writing it yourself :-).

Please e-mail me if you have any other questions of this sort.  We also have
a $5 demo disk which includes both EndNote and EndLink, so you can test it.
It has some documentation, but nothing on Refer: we just photocopy the manual
if you want that.