[comp.sys.mac] INIT headaches

knapp@cs.utexas.edu (Edgar Knapp) (10/17/89)

Well, I finally seem to have exceeded the critical mass for INITs in
my System Folder. My setup is 8MB Mac II, PMMU, Supermac Color Monitor
and Videocard (containing the Menubar) to the right of Apple RGB
Monitor and Videocard, lots of INITs. Here are my observations:

 - ColorFinder: In the Finder, the desktop is not redrawn correctly
   after the Apple or Special menu is accessed. I tried different

 - PopKeys: Any click on the Apple screen (to the left of the menubar)
   activates PopKeys, which makes the INIT unusable for me. Also,
   there is some interference with ApplicationMenu, since they use the
   overlapping areas of the screen for activation.

 - WindowShade: Causes Word 3 and 4 to crash when put in the
   background under MultiFinder. Load order seems irrelevant.

 - Cmdr.Dialog: Causes screen updates to be delayed too much, so that
   when switching applications under MF window contents are unreadable.

 - Thanks to the net I finally managed to get TappyType to work by
   renaming it to load before Suitcase II.

 - Temperament II stopped killing the Word Temp files in my System
   Folder. It has never made any sounds on startup either (as it is
   supposed to, according to the docs).

These problems made me yank these INITs even though they would be
extremely helpful, lots of fun, etc. if operational. I have also heard
rumors about a list of INIT incompatibilities that is being compiled
somewhere. Can anybody substantiate this?

Any enlightenments in these matters are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edgar

(knapp@cs.utexas.edu)

rj0z+@andrew.cmu.edu (Robert George Johnston, Jr.) (10/17/89)

    I am the author of the WindowShade INIT. I am sorry to say this, but
WindowShade may be responsible for some of the crash problems.
WindowShade 1.1
will be released in the next couple of days.
    As my first INIT, and without going into the technical details, I
found out
the hard way that anything that is installed into the system must protect
against other INITs and ROM patches that do not conform to assembly
language
calling conventions.
    If there are other questions or comments about WindowShade, please
let
me know.

    Rob Johnston.

chrisj@ut-emx.UUCP (Chris Johnson) (10/18/89)

In article <7047@cs.utexas.edu> knapp@cs.utexas.edu (Edgar Knapp) writes:
(stuff deleted)
> - ColorFinder: In the Finder, the desktop is not redrawn correctly
>   after the Apple or Special menu is accessed. I tried different

(stuff deleted)

> - Cmdr.Dialog: Causes screen updates to be delayed too much, so that
>   when switching applications under MF window contents are unreadable.

(stuff deleted, again)
>Edgar
>
>(knapp@cs.utexas.edu)

Of all the INITs you listed, I've only tried one:  Cmdr. Dialog.  Shortly
after installing it, the Finder ceased to be able to update icons on the
desktop including the disk and trash icons.  Removing Cmdr. Dialog solved
the problem completely.

This sounds vaguely like the problem you're attributing to ColorFinder.

I can't imagine why Cmdr. Dialog would be likely have the aforementioned side-
effect, but it does seem to.  This was on a Mac IIx, 5Mb RAM, Sys 6.0.3.

Hope this helps,
----Chris
----chrisj@emx.utexas.edu

danno@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Your host... Dieter) (10/18/89)

In article <19721@ut-emx.UUCP> chrisj@emx.UUCP (Chris Johnson) writes:
>In article <7047@cs.utexas.edu> knapp@cs.utexas.edu (Edgar Knapp) writes:
>>
>(stuff deleted)
>>
>> - Cmdr.Dialog: Causes screen updates to be delayed too much, so that
>>   when switching applications under MF window contents are unreadable.
>>
>(stuff deleted, again)
>>Edgar
>>
>>(knapp@cs.utexas.edu)
>
>Of all the INITs you listed, I've only tried one:  Cmdr. Dialog.  Shortly
>after installing it, the Finder ceased to be able to update icons on the
>desktop including the disk and trash icons.  Removing Cmdr. Dialog solved
>the problem completely.
>
>Hope this helps,
>----Chris
>----chrisj@emx.utexas.edu

I've had my own problems with Cmdr. Dialog. They are pretty much they same
as Edgar and Chris mention, with one highly noticeableably insufferable
incarnation: when shutting down under MultiFinder, the Mac cycles through
all open applications, quitting. Dialog makes this cycle time horribly
long! Aaaauuuugghhh! (It's the worst if there was a pending dialog box
in one of the apps: forever to fill in the box, a while to cancel, longer
to quit from the app...)

I was terribly disappointed, because Cmdr. Dialog actually got the
function keys on my extended keyboard to work, where the old Saratoga
INIT wouldn't. (BTW: I've got an SE/30, with 4 M and the internal 80.)

Still looking for an INIT to do that...

--
|\_______/| Someone send me a new Tragedy mask graphic!|  Daniel McKinnon
|         |                                            |
| O     O | Comedy must be played with a straight face;| danno@dartmouth.edu
|    \    | Only tragedy deserves laughter.            |

long@rainbo.enet.dec.com (Richard Long) (10/18/89)

In article <19721@ut-emx.UUCP>, chrisj@ut-emx.UUCP (Chris Johnson) writes...

[stuff deleted]

>Of all the INITs you listed, I've only tried one:  Cmdr. Dialog.  Shortly
>after installing it, the Finder ceased to be able to update icons on the
>desktop including the disk and trash icons.  Removing Cmdr. Dialog solved
>the problem completely.
>
>This sounds vaguely like the problem you're attributing to ColorFinder.
>
>I can't imagine why Cmdr. Dialog would be likely have the aforementioned side-
>effect, but it does seem to.  This was on a Mac IIx, 5Mb RAM, Sys 6.0.3.

Seconded!  I had this exact problem with Cmdr. Dialog on an SE running 6.0.3.
It also seemed to slow the system down significantly.  I trashed Cmdr. Dialog;
too bad, though, I could have used its functionality in some applications.

Oh well...

Rich

 /~~) /~~ /     | long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com            | "...guess you wouldn't
/~~\ /__ /__    | ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long | lie to me about a
Richard C. Long | long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com | thing like that." -MASH

dce@sony.com (David Elliott) (10/19/89)

The first version of Cmdr. Dialog I got was broken as described, but
Cmdr. Dialog ][ seems to work just fine (I've been using it for
about 2 months on a 5MB Mac II with around 20 INITs installed).

David Elliott
dce@sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce

friedman@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Daniel Friedman) (10/19/89)

In article <1989Oct18.173613.540@sony.com> dce@icky.Sony.COM (David Elliott) writes:
>The first version of Cmdr. Dialog I got was broken as described, but
>Cmdr. Dialog ][ seems to work just fine (I've been using it for
>about 2 months on a 5MB Mac II with around 20 INITs installed).

Oooohhh! Could you post it?