[comp.sys.mac] Moire stopping downloads?

pj@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Paul Jacoby) (10/15/89)

Ken McLeod writes:
  I've tried the new Moire (3.0), and quickly discovered that if it activates
during a downloading session, the download stops. Moire 2.22 didn't do this;
serial port communication always 'took precedence', and Moire would draw its
patterns very slowly or not at all, rather than interrupt the current process.

Strange, I use Moire 3.0 all the time with ZTerm 0.8, and have never had a
problem with Moire stopping processing.  In fact, on my SE/30, Moire has
proven to be the least intrusive screen saver that I have tried.  Your
mileage, of course, may vary.  But I've never had Moire interrupt.  When my
backup program is busy cranking stuff out to the DC-2000, Moire generally
doesn't even kick in, or otherwise goes to just a black screen.
  Can you give some more details, Ken?

.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| UUCP: {rosevax, crash, orator}!orbit!pnet51!pj |  Working with idiots keeps |
| ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!pj@nosc.mil           |  my life interesting...    |
| INET: pj@pnet51.cts.com                        |                            |

mr2t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Tod Rose) (10/15/89)

There's a configuration resource in the Moire cdev; it allows you to set
the "Serial port wake" for either the printer or modem ports with
ResEdit.

Check the Moire documentation -- if you don't have it, i can e-mail you
a copy.

-mike

d83_sven_a@tekno.chalmers.se (SVEN AXELSSON) (10/15/89)

In article <1271@orbit.UUCP>, pj@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Paul Jacoby) writes:
> Ken McLeod writes:
>   I've tried the new Moire (3.0), and quickly discovered that if it activates
> during a downloading session, the download stops. Moire 2.22 didn't do this;
> serial port communication always 'took precedence', and Moire would draw its
> patterns very slowly or not at all, rather than interrupt the current process.
[stuff deleted]

You must have a pretty rotten terminal program that cannot handle this. I have
never had this kind of problem. However, Moire 3.0 has a hidden feature that
allows you to set it to watch the modem and/or printer port and not turn itself
on if it sees any activity there. Just open up the Moire cdev with ResEdit and
go to DITL = -4064. Here you can see two check-boxes named modem port and
printer port respectively. Mr Lim decided to leave these out of the normal
dialog because it would be too cluttered. If you are not running a Mac II
the large colour button is of no use, so you can swap this for the two
check-boxes.
Hope this helps.

+-------------------------+--------------------------------+------------------+
|   Sven Axelsson         |  d83_sven_a@tekno.chalmers.se  |  DISCLAIMER:     |
|   dep:t of Linguistics  |          (^^ best ^^)          |                  |
|   univ. of Gothenburg   |        dlv_sa@hum.gu.se        |  This is not     |
|   SWEDEN                |      usdsa@seguc21.bitnet      |  a disclaimer.   |
+-------------------------+--------------------------------+------------------+

drew@cup.portal.com (Andrew E Wade) (10/16/89)

I think moire 3.0 has a "hidden" feature to allow it to be interrupted (or
not) by activity on either port (modem or printer).  Caveat:  I'm feeling
my way through the unkown here.  I thought I read this in the moire doc.,
but it's not there now -- my copy of the doc is corrupted and causes sys
crash.

You can ResEdit (REdit) Moire cdev to make visible two check boxes, one for
each port.  When checked, I'm guessing it is supposed to check for activity
on those ports and yield.  I have *not* tested this.  Here's what I did
In CNTL, -4036 is printer, -4037 is modem.  Change former to coordinates
(top left bottom right) (201 99 215 174).  For modem, (187 99 201 169).
Then, in DITL -4064, double clik on one of the boxes and click next/previous
until you get to -4036 and -4037 and make them match the above.  Finally,
drag the color box (-4048) out of the way.  Since I don't have color, I put it
at (231 253 256 327), lower right.  Of course, these are all just graphical
placements for the cdev panel and you can customize to your preference.

Save, quit.

Bring up control panel.  It should show (unchecked) check boxes labelled
modem port and printer port.  Check them to tell Moire to monitor those ports
and quit if there's activity there.

Again, untested.  I think i've seen interference with modem port by moire,
before I made this change, and hope this will fix it.

Why would the author hide a feature?  Good question.  Why would the default be
off for this feature?  Certainly anyone would want any activity anywhere to
take precedence over moire, no?

OK, now maybe someone can answer for me:

1.  Is there any way to tell moire to blank screen and just leave it black,
no funny patterns?

2.  Why doesn't moire cdev->init work?  It complains of missing DRVR resource.
I re-downloaded (from comp.binaries.mac), but it's still not working.

drew@objy.com

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (10/17/89)

In article <1271@orbit.UUCP> pj@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Paul Jacoby) writes:
>Strange, I use Moire 3.0 all the time with ZTerm 0.8, and have never had a
>problem with Moire stopping processing.  In fact, on my SE/30, Moire has
>proven to be the least intrusive screen saver that I have tried.  Your
>mileage, of course, may vary.  But I've never had Moire interrupt.  When my
>backup program is busy cranking stuff out to the DC-2000, Moire generally
>doesn't even kick in, or otherwise goes to just a black screen.
>  Can you give some more details, Ken?

  This was on a 2 MB 512KE, running 6.0.3. I was using VersaTerm under MF,
doing both standard MacBinary downloads from a local BBS as well as Kermit
via dialup to a Unix host. To be fair, I had Moire configured for the "Dyson's
Folly" pattern, and didn't try any of the others to see if there was a
difference. As soon as Moire kicked in (by timing out, or by mouse-in-sleep
corner), packet ack's stopped cold, as though VersaTerm had been switched
out and never got any more processor time until Moire was deactivated.

  I also noticed (again with the "Dyson's Folly") that some lines would
get "detached" from the moving pattern, and stay on the screen forever
(well, at least until I moved the mouse...)

  Haven't tried Moire 3.0 on the IIcx yet...will do so, and see if the
problem is machine-specific...

--
==========     .......     =============================================
Ken McLeod    :.     .:    UUCP: ...{spsd,zardoz,felix}!dhw68k!thecloud

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (10/18/89)

In article <23139@cup.portal.com> drew@cup.portal.com (Andrew E Wade) writes:
>I think moire 3.0 has a "hidden" feature to allow it to be interrupted (or
>not) by activity on either port (modem or printer).  Caveat:  I'm feeling
 [ description of using ResEdit to enable serial port activity deleted ]
>Again, untested.  I think i've seen interference with modem port by moire,
>before I made this change, and hope this will fix it.
>
>Why would the author hide a feature?  Good question.  Why would the default be
>off for this feature?  Certainly anyone would want any activity anywhere to
>take precedence over moire, no?

   It's certainly odd... I tried Moire 3.0 on a IIcx, and it worked without
a hitch. However, on the 512KE (which has recent 128K ROMs & new clock chip,
and is functionally equivalent to a Plus), serial port interruption is still
a problem (even after setting the appropriate field in the 'Cfig' resource).
Also, the problem with groups of lines "detaching" themselves from the moving
pattern is still present on the 512KE.

   Another problem (acknowledged in the documentation) is that Moire will
never activate if MPW is the frontmost application.

--
==========     .......     =============================================
Ken McLeod    :.     .:    UUCP: ...{spsd,zardoz,felix}!dhw68k!thecloud
==========   :::.. ..:::   INTERNET: thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com
                ////       =============================================

pj@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Paul Jacoby) (10/19/89)

Ken McLeod writes:
 (with regard to Moire stopping downloads)
  This was on a 2 MB 512KE, running 6.0.3. I was using VersaTerm under MF,
doing both standard MacBinary downloads from a local BBS as well as Kermit
via dialup to a Unix host. To be fair, I had Moire configured for the "Dyson's
Folly" pattern, and didn't try any of the others to see if there was a
difference.

  That might be part of the reason--I suspect Dyson's Folly is taking a lot
more horsepower to generate.  On the '030, if I recall correctly, even Red
Ryder 10.3 was able to maintain download speed.  My SE did suffer some, as I
recall.  SO this may be a matter of the horsepower available for the .Moire
driver to use.

   BTW, I've never been able to get an E-mail through to you from this
location, so let me say publicly that you've written some GREAT cdevs.
Thanks.