[comp.sys.mac] Keyboard woes

sobiloff@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (Blake Sobiloff) (03/09/89)

OK, here's the situation: I was typing a paper when my phone rang.  I set my
keyboard on my desk and rushed over to the stereo to turn it down, and as I
was turning around I hear the sound of something plastic sliding off my desk.
Surprise, surprise- my keyboard was sliding off the pile of papers on my desk!
I managed to get a finger on it before it hit the ground, but no gold medal
this time...

So now I have four keys that are broken off and I don't know what the best
option is.  The white plastic stem that actuates the switch underneath the key
is broken in two, and I really don't want to have to buy a new keyboard.  Is
my best bet to glue the key top back onto the stem, or is there an easy way to
get a new stem (no, I haven't been smoking anything!)?  Thanks in advance...

Blake "Hey, where's *MY* fancy signature?" Sobiloff
sobiloff@thor.acc.stolaf.edu

bob@accuvax.nwu.edu (Bob Hablutzel) (03/09/89)

> OK, here's the situation: I was typing a paper when my phone rang.  I set my
> keyboard on my desk and rushed over to the stereo to turn it down, and as I
> was turning around I hear the sound of something plastic sliding off my desk.
> Surprise, surprise- my keyboard was sliding off the pile of papers on my desk!
> I managed to get a finger on it before it hit the ground, but no gold medal
> this time...

> So now I have four keys that are broken off and I don't know what the best
> option is.  The white plastic stem that actuates the switch underneath the key
> is broken in two, and I really don't want to have to buy a new keyboard.  Is
> my best bet to glue the key top back onto the stem, or is there an easy way to
> get a new stem (no, I haven't been smoking anything!)?  Thanks in advance...

Don't try to glue the keys back on. I have the same problem, ever since my cat
knocked my cassette holder onto my kepboard. I tried to Super-glue the keys
back on, and it didn't work. Worse yet, my eight key got glued down, making
it unusable, which especially a bitch in editors that use the keypad, like
this one.

So, learn from my mistake. Take it to an Apple dealer and try to get it fixed.
(I'll do this as soon as I can spare the keyboard... for now I touch type
and avoid eights).

Bob Hablutzel	Wildwood Software	BOB@NUACC.ACNS.NWU.EDU
Disclaimer:	Signatures? We don't need no stinkin signatures!

pratt@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Jonathan Pratt) (03/09/89)

I had to learn a bit about keyboard switches when one of my shift
keys stopped working.  I was surprised and pleased to find that
the switches are identical to those found inside the surplus TI
keyboards that Radio Shack sells for $4.  This has to be one of
the more cost-effective Mac repairs, assuming you don't mind a
little soldering.  Note that this only applies to the original
Mac keyboard (and probably the plus too).

Jonathan

/* Jonathan Pratt          Internet: pratt@boulder.colorado.edu     *
 * Campus Box 525              uucp: ..!{ncar|nbires}!boulder!pratt *
 * University of Colorado                                           *
 * Boulder, CO 80309          Phone: (303) 492-4293                 */

jcocon%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu (James C O'Connor III, 2846) (03/09/89)

From article <1412@thor.acc.stolaf.edu>, by sobiloff@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (Blake Sobiloff):
> So now I have four keys that are broken off and I don't know what the best
> option is.  The white plastic stem that actuates the switch underneath the key
> is broken in two, and I really don't want to have to buy a new keyboard.  Is
> my best bet to glue the key top back onto the stem, or is there an easy way to
> get a new stem (no, I haven't been smoking anything!)?  Thanks in advance...
>
> Blake "Hey, where's *MY* fancy signature?" Sobiloff

Is this for a Plus style keyboard or an ADB?  I have done much work on the PLus
style and think I can dig up enough key switches for you to effect repairs.  I
haven't had to take apart my ADB board yet - MacUser had an article on taking
them apart.  Give a holler if you'd like to try the key switches.

Jim
Any ideas for a good signature?  Or should I save the band width?

ph@cci632.UUCP (Pete Hoch) (03/14/89)

From article <1412@thor.acc.stolaf.edu>, by sobiloff@thor.acc.stolaf.edu:
> So now I have four keys that are broken off and I don't know what the best
> option is.  The white plastic stem that actuates the switch underneath the key
> is broken in two, and I really don't want to have to buy a new keyboard.  Is
> my best bet to glue the key top back onto the stem, or is there an easy way to
> get a new stem (no, I haven't been smoking anything!)?  Thanks in advance...
>
> Blake "Hey, where's *MY* fancy signature?" Sobiloff

Same thing happened to me.  But I only lost my 'i' key on a ADB extended
keyboard.  I have no solution yet other than to type funny.  If anyone
has a solution please copy me or post.

Thanks,

Pete Hoch  -  ...!rochester!cci632!ph

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (03/15/89)

I seem to remember some uproar some year(s) back when replacement keys
were being sold by a store for $5 and someone pointed out where one could
get them for between $2 and $3 ....  I'd expect that info can be found in
old INFO-MAC / DELPHI /Usenet digests, maybe in MacTutor and other mags...

I'm not motivated to search 'cause I have spare-keyboards myself ...

--
      ----------->   PREFERED RETURN-ADDRESS FOLLOWS   <--------------

  (ARPA)    werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu   (Internet: 128.83.144.1)
  (UUCP)    ..!utastro!werner   or  ..!uunet!rascal.ics.utexas.edu!werner

rdclark@apple.com (Richard Clark) (03/15/89)

In article <3716@utastro.UUCP> werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:
> I seem to remember some uproar some year(s) back when replacement keys
> were being sold by a store for $5 and someone pointed out where one could
> get them for between $2 and $3 ....  I'd expect that info can be found in
> old INFO-MAC / DELPHI /Usenet digests, maybe in MacTutor and other
> mags...

Good luck getting the replacement keys -- ALPS makes them especially for
Apple, and you can only get them through an Apple dealer. (I know, I used
to be a service technition, and was able to purchase them from my boss.)
Unfortunately, unless you happen to have a friend who runs an apple
service department, your chances of getting the keys are slim. (One dealer
wanted $15 each!! Another said that they wouldn't be able to fix it and
asked for $130 for a new keyboard.)

See the January, 1989 issue of MacTutor for one way to handle the problem.

...Richard

Developer University
Course Development and Delivery
AppleLink: RDCLARK

gt0818a@prism.gatech.EDU (Paul E. Robichaux) (10/19/89)

The keyboard on my faithful, just-turned-three-years-old Mac Plus is suffering
from that painful ailment known as "broken key post-itis," wherein the little
plastic shaft connecting the keycap to the keyswitch breaks...exactly in the
middle.

I don't want to buy a new keyboard, but that little sucker is firmly wedged
in there, and I don't know where to get a replacement shaft or switch. All
helpful comments and suggestions welcome. Please email; I will summarize to
the net.

-Paul

--
Paul E. Robichaux                  |"Collateral damage is the number of women
Georgia Institute of Technology    | and children you kill when attempting to do