[comp.sys.mac] Appletalk product questions...

dorourke@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (David M. O'Rourke) (10/17/89)

  Forgive me if this has been gone over recently, but I haven't seen
anything covering this is awhile and just thought I'd ask.

  With in the next 3-4 weeks I'm going to need to have at least two
Mac's communicating via telephone lines for running stuff like timbuktu
and AppleShare, Quickmail, etc....

  What is the best way to connect two AppleTalk networks?  I'm  aware of
several products and different ways of doing it, but I'd like the best &
least amount of headache solution.  I'm only going to need to connect
up with this other network once or twice a week so ease of establishing the
connection is probably the most important.  We're not looking for
ultra cheap solutions, just good middle of the road that easy to use.
I have to call up once or twice a week and get some stuff off of a file
server, and possibly do some inter-active editing via Timbuktu with someone
watching on the other end.  I'm also going to use it to log on and print
stuff at the other end on an AppleTalk laser-printer, so my needs go
beyond simple file-transfer.  Also both systems need to be "self-starting"
in other words they might connect to me, or vice-versa, without someone
being there to "answer" the phone....

  Also I'm looking for a good fast modem for connecting the two systems
up, 9600 or 19200 would be nice.  I'd love to hear exeriences anyone has
had with such a system.

  Also how does Timbuktu handle displaying a bigger screen {a la Mac II} on
a smaller screen such as an SE/30.  And if I'm "connecting" these two networks
over some appletalk bridge/modem do I need Timbuktu Remote, or do I just
need two copies of Timbuktu???

  Any and all help is deeply appreciated, and e-mail or posting here is
fine.  I will also be happy to post a summary of responses I recieve if
net-land so desires...

  Thanks in advance.

  David M. O'Rourke
--
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|/////////////////////////////////////////
David M. O'Rourke____________________|_____________dorourke@polyslo.calpoly.edu

news@galaxy.rutgers.edu (news) (10/18/89)

From: bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Ronald Bannon)

In article <1989Oct16.183101.3011@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> you write:

>  With in the next 3-4 weeks I'm going to need to have at least two
>Mac's communicating via telephone lines for running stuff like timbuktu
>and AppleShare, Quickmail, etc....

Try Calling LaCie and asking about their SilverServer software, from what I
understand it will allow two MACS to be connected via modem.

LaCie, Ltd.
16285 SW 85th, #306
Tigard, OR  97224
800-999-0143

Hope this helps.

Ron Bannon
bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu
bannon@math.rutgers.edu

Ron Bannon
bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Is George Bush a traitor? Read "October Surprise" by Honegger. Send for details.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

drew@cup.portal.com (Andrew E Wade) (10/20/89)

Re:  request for best way to hook up two appletalk networks
I don't know the best, and am interested in what others think.  I have used
the following:
Shiva NetSerial allows dial-up to appletalk network and then makes your
remote mac act just like it's on the other net.  This works well, easily, etc.
including printing, appleshare access to servers (ours are actually unix
machines bridged by Cayman gatorbox), quickmail, etc.  One serious problem:
it is 100x slower than appletalk (using 2400bps modem), making, in my opinion,
many things impractical:  printer, copying files from servers, etc., for any
size at all.

Quickmail has it's own dial-up capability.  Much better if you use QuickRemote
but workable from dumb terminal, too.
It's also supposed to be able to automatically call another network to transfe
mail, unattended.  I haven't used timbuktu.