[comp.sys.mac] Application busy or missing?

kessler@schof.colorado.edu (Andrew Kessler) (10/16/89)

On some Mac's double clicking on a file when the creator program is already
running gives the error 'Application busy or missing', instead of switching
to the program and loading the file. So now you have to switch to the program
and open the file using the open command.

Does anyone know what causes this? It seems to work fine with some system
configurations and not at all on others. I haven't been able to figure out
the exact cause.

Any help would be appreciated.

Andy Kessler

dawyd@gargoyle.uchicago.edu (David Walton) (10/16/89)

In article <12785@boulder.Colorado.EDU> kessler@schof.colorado.edu (Andrew Kessler) writes:
>On some Mac's double clicking on a file when the creator program is already
>running gives the error 'Application busy or missing', instead of switching
>to the program and loading the file. So now you have to switch to the program
>and open the file using the open command.
>
>Does anyone know what causes this? It seems to work fine with some system
>configurations and not at all on others. I haven't been able to figure out
>the exact cause.
>
>Andy Kessler

On earlier versions of Finder/MF, one would get the message "Some APPL
documents could not be opened printed.  Please choose Open from within
the application."  I'm not sure what version started allowing you to
open from the finder when the application was already running, but I
think it's System 6.0.2.

My guess is that the error you mention is a variant of the above.
(You must admit that Application Busy would make sense here.)

--

David Walton		Internet: dwal@tank.UChicago.EDU
University of Chicago   {  Any opinions herein are my own, not      }

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (10/17/89)

In article <477@gargoyle.uchicago.edu>, dawyd@gargoyle.uchicago.edu (David Walton) writes...

>On earlier versions of Finder/MF, one would get the message "Some APPL
>documents could not be opened printed.  Please choose Open from within
>the application."  I'm not sure what version started allowing you to
>open from the finder when the application was already running, but I
>think it's System 6.0.2.

I'm running 6.0.3 and I still get this behavior with some applications.

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
= crsp_ra@gsbacd.uchicago.edu    * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
=                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =

jh34607@suntc.UUCP (john howell) (10/17/89)

In article <5841@tank.uchicago.edu>, gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
> In article <477@gargoyle.uchicago.edu>, dawyd@gargoyle.uchicago.edu (David Walton) writes...
>
> >On earlier versions of Finder/MF, one would get the message "Some APPL
> >documents could not be opened printed.  Please choose Open from within
> >the application."  I'm not sure what version started allowing you to
> >open from the finder when the application was already running, but I
> >think it's System 6.0.2.
>

> I'm running 6.0.3 and I still get this behavior with some applications.

I had this problem too, not positive why, but I repaired it by
rebuilding the DeskTop.  Just hold the Command and Option keys down on
startup and you will get a message asking if you are sure you want to
rebuild the desktop.  Click yes.

I think this should clear up your problems.

nopuklic@ndsuvax.UUCP (Blayne Puklich) (10/18/89)

In article <5841@tank.uchicago.edu> gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
>In article <477@gargoyle.uchicago.edu>, dawyd@gargoyle.uchicago.edu
	(David Walton) writes...
>>On earlier versions of Finder/MF, one would get the message "Some APPL
>>documents could not be opened printed.  Please choose Open from within
>>the application."  I'm not sure what version started allowing you to
>>open from the finder when the application was already running, but I
>>think it's System 6.0.2.
>
>I'm running 6.0.3 and I still get this behavior with some applications.

The reason why this happens is that when attempting to open a document
under MultiFinder, MF attempts to locate a menu item called either Open
or Open... or another variant in the application's File menu.  This is the
default method for MF to trick the application into opening the document.
However, if the programmer writing the application is up on his tech notes,
he'll notice that the inclusion of a group of four "mstr" resources in those
cases where he chooses not to use the item names Open or Open...  or the name
File for the menu containing these commands.  He can also opt to choose to
use an mst# resource for these strings.  This is documented in tech note 205,
and has been going on since system 6.0.

Also, the Quit menu item is found by MF using a similar method.

||+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++||
|| Blayne Puklich      nopuklic@Plains.NoDak.EDU  "I think I'm going       ||
|| NDSU Student ACM    nopuklic@ndsuvax.BITNET          bald..."           ||
|| Vice-Chairperson    NU087763@NDSUVM1.BITNET     -- Rush, from Caress    ||
|| North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND           of Steel, 1975       ||
|| (701) 237-4408                                                          ||
||          "Corvettes are the best thing man has ever invented."          ||

Alex.Maluta@f135.n102.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Alex Maluta) (10/20/89)

I don't think the problem is solely due to the System software version.
I am running 6.0.3 (6.1) and StuffIt still gives this error.  I saw
a patch for StuffIt on a BBS that fixes it, but haven't tried it.

--
Alex Maluta via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!102!135!Alex.Maluta