[comp.sys.mac] How into a site by FTP?

gao@zodiac.rutgers.edu (10/19/89)

Hi,

every time I want to get into a site in FTP(for example
129.97.129.72), I will encounter a login problem. I was
asked to give user name & password. Does this mean I can
n't use any site in FTP unless I got an account at the site?
What can I do if I do have the needs to use the site?

looking forward to hearing from you!

Thanks in advance

Ming Gao
from Rutgers University
e-mail address: gao@pisces.rutgers.edu (internet)

earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) (10/20/89)

In article <194@zodiac.rutgers.edu> gao@zodiac.rutgers.edu writes:
>Hi,
>
>every time I want to get into a site in FTP(for example
>129.97.129.72), I will encounter a login problem. I was
>asked to give user name & password.

Try user name "anonymous."  If the site has a public access directory,
it will then let you in with restricted permissions.

Earle R. Horton