[comp.sys.mac] Laserwriter Page Setup defaults

louis@aerospace.aero.org (Louis M. McDonald) (10/16/89)

I would like to have the Laserwriter defaults under Page Setup
be different then what they are. I would like to only have
"Faster Bitmap Printing" enabled. By default, everything is
enabled.

I know ResEdit can be used to change what the buttons look like
in laserwriter, but I cannot change the default value.

The idea is to have all applications just have Faster Bitmap Printing
turned on, so that items will print faster. Very few people need
Graphics Smoothing and Text Smoothing turned on, and very few remember
to turn them off....

Louis McDonald

--
Louis McDonald
The Aerospace Corporation

earleh@northstar.dartmouth.edu (Earle Horton) (10/18/89)

In article <59567@aerospace.AERO.ORG> louis@aerospace.aero.org (Louis M. McDonald) writes:
>I would like to have the Laserwriter defaults under Page Setup
>be different then what they are. I would like to only have
>"Faster Bitmap Printing" enabled. By default, everything is
>enabled.

The current generation of printer drivers stores default style
information in 'PREC' ID 0, and the last-used style information in
'PREC' 1.  'PREC' 1 is updated when you print something.  Accordingly,
use the following procedure to change the defaults in any printer
driver which is configured this way, including the LaserWriter and
ImageWriter drivers.

a) Use the Chooser to select the printer file you want to change.

b) Open a "Page Setup..." dialog from any application, Finder is good.

c) Set up the style to be what you want for the new default.

d) Print something using the new style.  You may also change defaults
in the Print Dialog, if you like.

e) Select another printer so you can edit the target file using ResEdit.

f) In the target printer file, copy the contents of 'PREC' 1 over those of
'PREC' 0.

g) Save the changed printer file.

Now, whenever you do "Page Setup..." or "Print..." using the altered
printer file, the default dialog settings will be whatever you set
them to in steps (c) and (d).

This trick should work fine for all Apple printer drivers.  It may
work for third party printer drivers, if they store defaults in 'PREC'
0 and the last settings in 'PREC' 1.

Earle R. Horton

earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) (10/18/89)

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (10/20/89)

In article <16197@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> earleh@northstar.dartmouth.edu (Earle Horton) writes:

<The current generation of printer drivers stores default style
<information in 'PREC' ID 0, and the last-used style information in
<'PREC' 1.

Does this include the LaserWriter 6.0 driver?

<
<a) Use the Chooser to select the printer file you want to change.
<
<b) Open a "Page Setup..." dialog from any application, Finder is good.

Would this work if you instead made changes in the dialog box you get
for printing? I'd like to change the default for Print Next File (in Word)
to be off.

Shirley Kehr