[comp.sys.mac] Quantum/Apple fix - New Problem

spector@brillig.umd.edu (Lee Spector) (10/14/89)

I had the infamous Quantum/Apple startup problems with my IIcx & 80 Meg
drive, and had already had the drive replaced twice and the logic board
replaced once.  Hence I was very happy to hear that an "official" solution
to the problem was announced.  I took my machine in and now have the new ROM
(or PROM or whatever it is).  So far I have had no startup problems, but I
now have a NEW problem - Noises coming from the drive when it is NOT
accessing.

Causing the disk to access always causes a quiet grinding sound (this is
normal, I suppose) but now the sound will sometimes continue to sound
continuously after an access.  For example, if I just play around in the
finder opening folders, sooner or later I will open a folder and have the
grinding sound continue (but the light does not continue to flash).  No
matter how long I wait it'll just keep grinding away.  If I keep opening
folders, the sound will generally stop at one of the subsequent accesses.
Another way I've been able to toggle the noise on and off is by opening the
control panel and switching amongst the CDEVs.  Stranger still, some of the
CDEVs seem more likely to cause the grinding to start (TappyType gets the
grinding going most of the time).

During normal work various things seem to be capable of causing the noise to
start or stop.

Does anyone know what's going on?  Is it related to the "upgrade"?

Any and all responses will be appreciated.

Thanks!   -Lee (spector@cs.umd.edu)

martya@cpl-mfh.UUCP (Marty Adelman) (10/16/89)

***
*** In article <20167@mimsy.UUCP>,
*** spector@brillig.umd.edu (Lee Spector) writes:
***

>I had the infamous Quantum/Apple startup problems with my IIcx & 80 Meg
>drive .....
>I took my machine in and now have the new ROM ...
>So far I have had no startup problems, but I
>now have a NEW problem - Noises coming from the
>drive when it is NOT accessing.
>
>Thanks!   -Lee (spector@cs.umd.edu)

I just had the new rom installed in my machine also.  I noticed this phenomena
and thought it might be perculiar to my machine, but since you have heard it
also I guess it is in the rom.  Near as I can tell, I read that the rom
adds a full stroke command (??) to something or other and I think this is
what we are probably hearing.  Any other takers ? 8-)

Marty Adelman
cpl-mfh!martya@cs.buffalo.edu
sunybcs!cpl-mfh!martya

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (10/17/89)

In article <20167@mimsy.UUCP> spector@brillig.umd.edu.UUCP (Lee Spector) writes:
>I had the infamous Quantum/Apple startup problems with my IIcx & 80 Meg
> [...]
>
>Causing the disk to access always causes a quiet grinding sound (this is
>normal, I suppose) but now the sound will sometimes continue to sound
>continuously after an access.  For example, if I just play around in the
>finder opening folders, sooner or later I will open a folder and have the
>grinding sound continue (but the light does not continue to flash).  No
>matter how long I wait it'll just keep grinding away.  If I keep opening
>folders, the sound will generally stop at one of the subsequent accesses.

  My IIcx/Apple-Quantum 80 is 2 weeks old. Just yesterday, it started
displaying this "new" behavior. So far, I can't reproduce it with any
regularity (the first time it occurred, I was running ResEdit 1.2 under
MultiFinder, which made it doubly scary.) What seems to be happening is
that the drive will start to seek normally, read the required block(s),
and then continue accessing the disk INDEFINTELY until a fresh request
for info is made. Each time, I was able to stop the frenzied seeking by
doing something requiring a fresh disk access (once, I opened up a folder;
another time, I launched an application, etc.)  The infinite accesses
seem to be generated by the drive itself, and not by the driver or other
software (no v***s that I could find!)

 Now, ever since I got the drive, it has done a 'calibration' seek at
roughly 5 minute intervals, each access lasting no more than a second.
I'm told this is normal behavior. But... could a request from the driver
occurring at exactly the same time as the periodic seek cause this "infinite
access"? Or is it somehow related to the new PROM? (I haven't had any
startup problems [yet], so perhaps recent Quantums are already "fixed"?)

--
==========     .......     =============================================
Ken McLeod    :.     .:    UUCP: ...{spsd,zardoz,felix}!dhw68k!thecloud

pcmeier@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Pascal Constantin Meier) (10/18/89)

In article <-539343565@cpl-mfh.UUCP> martya@cpl-mfh.UUCP (Marty Adelman) writes:
>*** spector@brillig.umd.edu (Lee Spector) writes:
>
>>So far I have had no startup problems, but I
>>now have a NEW problem - Noises coming from the
>>drive when it is NOT accessing.
>>
>I just had the new rom installed in my machine also.  I noticed this phenomena
>and thought it might be perculiar to my machine, but since you have heard it
>also I guess it is in the rom.  Near as I can tell, I read that the rom
>adds a full stroke command (??) to something or other and I think this is
>what we are probably hearing.  Any other takers ? 8-)

I was told by someone in the know that the original problem with the
drives was that the lubrication on the read/write arm was not performing
its duty, causing the arm to freeze up. Apple's solution to this is to
periodically "exercise" the arm when no hard disk access is being
done.

So soon some happy virus is going to come along and trash our hard disks,
and we'll be thinking the disk is doing its daily jumping jacks.....;-}

Good luck,
Pascal.

espen@well.UUCP (Peter Espen) (10/20/89)

> >I took my machine in and now have the new ROM ...
> >So far I have had no startup problems, but I
> >now have a NEW problem - Noises coming from the
> >drive when it is NOT accessing.
> >

> I just had the new rom installed in my machine also.  I noticed this phenomena
> and thought it might be perculiar to my machine, but since you have heard it
> also I guess it is in the rom.  Near as I can tell, I read that the rom
> adds a full stroke command (??) to something or other and I think this is
> what we are probably hearing.  Any other takers ? 8-)

	I also have the new ROM installed on my 80Meg Quantum. The noises
that are occurring when the drive is not accessing are much louder than
the normal read/write access noise of the drive, and are a little annoying
and worrying.
	I think that the this phenomenon is also occurring at the same time
as read/write accesses some of the time. It seems that when they do occur
at the same time the access speed of the drive is dramatically degraded. This
has not been verified at all, it's just a suspicion.

	Peter Espen
	espen@well

martya@cpl-mfh.UUCP (Marty Adelman) (10/20/89)

***
*** In article <14166@well.UUCP>,
*** espen@well.UUCP (Peter Espen) writes:
***

>	I also have the new ROM installed on my 80Meg Quantum. The noises
>that are occurring when the drive is not accessing are much louder than
>the normal read/write access noise of the drive, and are a little annoying
>and worrying.
>	I think that the this phenomenon is also occurring at the same time
>as read/write accesses some of the time. It seems that when they do occur
>at the same time the access speed of the drive is dramatically degraded. This
>has not been verified at all, it's just a suspicion.

    I have been watching my drive more closely since I first observed this
new phenomena.  The drive noises are louder and do occur during disk accesses
It definately degrades the drive performance at this point but only for a few
seconds.
    Hey Apple what gives, you call this a fix, it is quite annoying.  Any
comment from someone from APPLE or QUANTUM.

esf00@uts.amdahl.com (Elliott S. Frank) (10/21/89)

In article <27101@dhw68k.cts.com> thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) writes:

>                                          What seems to be happening is
>that the drive will start to seek normally, read the required block(s),
>and then continue accessing the disk INDEFINTELY until a fresh request
>for info is made.

I've got the sam problem, but only with **one** application -- Shiva's
NetSerial.  When I attempt to access the NetSerial modem on my SE/20
(2.5 MB), it goes into the continious diskacess cycle. When I exit
VersaTerm (my NetSerial application), the accesses stop.  This also
happens on a coworker's SE/20 (same memory, same vintage), but not
on the local MacWizard's 5 MB II.

--
Elliott Frank      ...!{hplabs,ames,sun}!amdahl!esf00     (408) 746-6384
               or ....!{bnrmtv,drivax,hoptoad}!amdahl!esf00

[the above opinions are strictly mine, if anyone's.]
[the above signature may or may not be repeated, depending upon some
inscrutable property of the mailer-of-the-week.]